Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos RecipeLisa Grant | Jersey Girl Cooks
Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos are just the thing you need for your dinner. Cooked all day in the slow cooker, you'll be amazed how easy...
Way back in college, I worked at a Mexican restaurant. There was nothing like the smell of sizzling fajitas carried to a table. As a matter of fact, they were a star attraction of the restaurant. The smoking skillets would draw plenty of attention while the sizzling sound caught everyone’s ears.
Chicken fajitas have always been a favorite of mine. But so are soft tacos. So I took the best of both worlds to make these slow cooker chicken fajita tacos. There are no heavy skillets to carry, but the smell will still envelope your whole kitchen. With a little preparation, you can come home to an easy meal as good as your local Mexican restaurant.
While I adore the chicken filling of these tacos, I always make sure there are plenty of toppings and garnishes. Everyone one in my family likes something different. My son is a plain eater, so just the chicken and cheese is enough for him but my husband likes spicy jalapenos, guacamole and salsa. Now when it comes to my daughter’s preference, she wants it all. Lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream, and corn salsa are all part of building the taco. I agree with her and like to pile my tacos high with toppings also.
Not only do I serve plenty of toppings with these tacos, I want to go big. Sides and dessert come with this meal. Some rice and refried beans are the perfect accompaniments. We cannot forget the mango margaritas and Mexican chocolate brownies, because no meal is complete without drinks and dessert. While this is a perfect weekend dinner to serve to company, I am also happy to make this on a week night because it is so easy.
If you love tacos as much as I do, try these other taco recipes:
Planning a dinner party and need some inspiration?
How about looking for a new slow cooker dinner idea?
We’ve got you covered in our ever-growing Facebook group! If you’re not a member yet, why not?!
We’re chatting cooking techniques, dessert ideas, and everything in between. If you’re already a member, invite your friends to join us too!
Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos Recipe
- 1 1/2 pounds Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Taco Seasoning, Or southwest seasoning
- 2 Bell Peppers, Large, cut into bite size pieces (like red or yellow)
- 1 medium Onion, Peeled and cut into bite size pieces
- 1/2 cup Water
- 12 Soft Corn Tortillas, Heated
- Shredded Cheese
- Shredded Lettuce
- Sour Cream
- Chopped Tomatoes and Cilantro
- Place chicken breasts in the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Sprinkle the seasoning over the chicken.
- Top the chicken with the peppers and onions. Pour the water over everything.
- Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 4 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Remove the chicken and use forks to shred it. Place the chicken back in the slow cooker and combine with sauce, onions and peppers.
- Remove chicken with a slotted spoon and place in a bowl for serving.
- Place chicken and pepper mixture on tortillas. Top with various garnishes.
- Lisa Grant
- Cooking Method:
- Slow Cooker
- Tex Mex
- Easy Dinners, Dinners, Slow Cooker, Crock Pot, Slow Cooked, Tex Mex, Tacos, Easy, Chicken, Peppers, Onions
- Related Recipes:
- Easy Dinner Recipes, Dinner Recipes, Slow Cooker Recipes, Crock Pot Recipes, Slow Cooked Recipes, Tex Mex Recipes, Taco Recipes, Easy Recipes, Chicken Recipes, Pepper Recipes, Onion Recipes
- Recipe Yields:
- 6 servings
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Related Post:
Author: Lisa Grant
Recipe Yields: 6 servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 480 minutes
Total Time: 485 minutes
Amount Per Serving