Popeye's Chicken is everyone's favorite fried chicken. Only now you can make it at home with this copycat Popeye's chicken recipe!
I am busting out of my usual chocolate mold today to share a special recipe that I love so very much. My copycat recipe for Popeye's chicken!
While I may be the resident chocolate fanatic here, I also love so many other foods as well. One of my absolute favourites of all time is fried chicken.
There is just something about frying up chicken that brings me to my happy place. And there's nothing like Popeye's chicken!
I've been making different versions of this copycat Popeye's chicken recipe for years, but this has to be my very favourite way to make it.
It's full of flavour and fried to absolute perfection. I once made 50 pounds of this for a stag and doe party (I think they call these bachelor and bachelorette parties in the US) - not a single piece was left!
There are so many great places you can go out for fried chicken. I love to try it everywhere we go just to see how others make it.
The variety of spices, breading, cooking oils, and dips makes fried chicken from one place to the next taste incredibly versatile and unique.
We all know though, hands down, one of the best places to get fried chicken is Popeye's. They have perfected fried chicken like no other restaurant.
We happen to live in Canada, so we do not have Popeye's here. But, we just so happen to be lucky enough to live about 20 minutes from the American border.
That means we get to zip over as often as we like to go out to eat, grab our favourite chicken - and shop, too!
Why Is Popeye’s Chicken So Good?
One of our favourite places over the years to swing by is Popeye's. Since I'm a sucker for good fried chicken, it fits the bill and my whole family agrees.
Popeye's chicken is known for always being tender inside but with skin that is golden and perfectly crisp. Just the way I like it. Plus there's some heat!
Their blend of canola and soybean oils used to cook the chicken ensure a deep fry, the buttermilk marinade gives the chicken added moisture and a smooth texture, and the spice blend brings flavor you won’t find anywhere else!
The egg, water, and hot sauce batter of Popeye's chicken is truly unique and flavorful and will stand out whether it’s the first or fiftieth time you’ve had it.
Copycat Popeye's Chicken Recipe
Even though we often crave Popeye’s chicken, sometimes life dictates that we make it from home rather than crossing the border to and going out to eat.
I've played with many different variations of this copycat Popeye's chicken recipe trying to nail down the exact flavor and crunch of Popeye's chicken.
After much ado, this recipe is the winner! I think you’ll love it, too! To make the very best copycat Popeye's chicken recipe, you will need:
- Buttermilk - this keeps the chicken tender and flavorful
- Frank's Red Hot sauce - for the added, unique kick
- Salt and black pepper - seasoning for flavor
- Flour - to bread your chicken
- Spices - White pepper, smoked paprika – keep the original flavor intact with these key spice ingredients
- Sugar and brown sugar - balance the spices and make the chicken flavorful
- Oil - You will need oil for frying your chicken. Popeye’s uses canola and soybean oil, but just about any oil is sufficient for frying chicken. The most popular oils are vegetable, canola, and peanut oils - their high smoke points and neutral flavors make them best for fried chicken.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, Food Fanatic earns from qualifying purchases.
- Deep frying pan - In order to make true, authentic fried chicken you'll need a good quality deep frying pan. We love a pan like this 6-quart all-in-one pan that comes with everything you need to fry chicken at home including the fry basket - and it's dishwasher safe!
- Kitchen tongs - Make sure you have at least one pair of good stainless steel kitchen tongs for frying chicken like this 2-pack of tongs that comes with tongs in two different sizes for under $10.
- Mixing bowls - Of course, you'll need a set of mixing bowls or shallow casserole dishes for dredging and breading your chicken. We love this versatile set of Luminarc glass mixing bowls.
Tips for Making Our Copycat Popeye's Chicken
I think the key to really good fried chicken is taking your time to do it right - if you're going to cut corners, get take out fried chicken instead.
Use buttermilk, allow it to soak, dredge each piece before frying, and always use good oil - I also think it helps to make sure you buy really good chicken.
If you get the basics down you can start playing around with spices and flavour.
I really enjoy trying new seasoning in mine as often as I can. Typically I'll make a couple of different flavours at one time.
Whether you like yours spicy or mild, you need to whip up a batch of this Popeye's chicken recipe - I suggest making a double batch at that very least.
You will thank me for that little piece of advice. It's absolutely scrumptious, so the more you make the happier you will be.
More Chicken Recipes We Love
In addition to delicious, cripsy fried chicken, we love this grilled caprese avocado chicken recipe - the flavors are so unique and delicious all year long.
Planning a dinner party and need some inspiration?
How about looking for a new slow cooker dinner idea?
We’ve got you covered in our ever-growing Facebook group! If you’re not a member yet, why not?!
We’re chatting cooking techniques, dessert ideas, and everything in between. If you’re already a member, invite your friends to join us too!