With tens of thousands of views and shares, this easy slow cooker recipe is going to become your new favorite.
Perpetually topping the Food Fanatic charts, there's one recipe that readers can't get enough of around here - our slow cooker Salisbury steak recipe!
This recipe has been racking up the fans, now totaling many tens of thousands of views and shares.
It's not difficult to understand why - a simple and savory Salisbury steak recipe that the whole family will love has never been easier to make than with our simple slow cooker method.
Honestly, why spend an entire day in the kitchen when you can have a home-cooked favorite ready when you walk through the door? Nothing beats a slow cooker recipe for a busy family!
With long hours spent at the office or on the road, coming home to the delicious aroma of a meal that’s ready to be served at your convenience is a true gift.
It can be difficult to find something that satisfies every member of your family without breaking the bank or making multiple meals.
That’s why this delicious Salisbury steak recipe is a popular go-to for anyone looking to enjoy the simplicity and comfort of a home cooked meal without a large investment in time or money.
Why Use a Slow Cooker To Make Salisbury Steak?
Anyone who uses a slow cooker regularly can tell you that they love the delicious combination of flavors, tender meat, and even better, the one-pot clean up at the end.
I also love slow cooker meals for days when I am expecting company. This allows me more time to clean my house, prepare a dessert or side dishes, or just relax.
Not to mention how easily this Salisbury steak, or any other slow cooker recipe, will travel for potlucks, gatherings, or holidays!
In just minutes, you can prepare a dish that will taste like you’ve spent hours in the kitchen. A little bit of meal prep in this case can go a long way.
One of the best features about this recipe is that you can quickly prepare all ingredients ahead of time and assemble in minutes in the morning.
Imagine coming home and not having to touch a single pan for to feast on delicious Salisbury steak and gravy!
Slow Cooker Salisbury Steak Ingredients
- Baby Portobello mushrooms - These should be sliced thin to exchange flavors with the steak.
- Onion - White or yellow onions will do. Thinly sliced, this will be the perfect addition to your dinner.
- Lean ground beef - The ground will cook slowly and remain tender in your slow cooker, smothered in a delicious gravy.
- Steak seasoning - Use store bought or homemade steak seasoning to add dimension and flavor.
- Worcestershire sauce - There’s a lot of debate on how to say this, but not on the delicious taste!
- Dried onion flakes - Add these for more savory onion flavor - it adds so much depth to this Salisbury steak recipe.
- Dried parsley - A simple and easy addition to incorporate a rich herbal flavor.
- Breadcrumbs - Plain breadcrumbs or Italian breadcrumbs will work well for this recipe.
- Egg - Use a single egg to bind the Salisbury steak patties.
- Cornstarch - Thicken your beef gravy easily without removing flavor by using cornstarch.
- Beef broth - The key ingredient to a simple and delicious gravy along with the drippings from the Salisbury steaks.
- Black pepper - Add this to the gravy and enjoy!
How To Make Our Slow Cooker Salisbury Steak Recipe
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, Food Fanatic earns from qualifying purchases.
- Mixing bowls - You'll first need a large mixing bowl for mixing up the ground beef mixture. We recommend the Luminarc Stackable Bowl 10-Piece Set. These glass bowls are super versatile and you'll use them for so many recipes.
- Slow cooker - This method of making salisbury steak requires a slow cooker. We love the simple yet mighty Crock-Pot 7 Quart Oval Manual Slow Cooker. It doesn't have a ton of bells and whistles, but it's reliable and affordable if you don't already own a slow cooker.
- Slow cooker liners - While not required, you may want to grab a pack of Reynolds Kitchens Slow Cooker Liners. They're inexpensive, easy to keep on hand and help cut down cleaning time when it comes time to do dishes.
Making our beloved slow cooker Salisbury steak recipe is super simple - and we're sure that's why it's so popular!
To begin, generously spray the bottom of your slow cooker dish with non-stick cooking spray, or use a disposable liner. You’ll thank yourself later!
Add the thinly-sliced onions and Portobello mushrooms to the bottom of the dish, evenly distributing all ingredients.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground beef with steak seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, onion flakes, parsley flakes, breadcrumbs, and one egg.
Combine with your hands, and then form into patties. Six generously sized patties will fit with slight overlap in a 6 quart pot.
If you need to overlap more than half of a patty, adding more mushrooms or onions between each layer of meat will prevent sticking.
If you want your patties to be crisp, sear in a pan or on a skillet for a few minutes before continuing to the next step.
Layer the patties over the mushrooms and onions in the slow cooker. Again, if they overlap slightly, don’t worry!
Now you’ll make an easy, no-fuss gravy that will bring the entire recipe together. (Honestly, this gravy may be why this recipe is such a hit!)
Whisk your beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, cornstarch, and pepper together until there are no lumps. Pour the gravy over the patties.
Close the lid, and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours, or on low for 6 to 8 hours. Dinner will set to making itself!
The versatility is wonderful - you can pop this in midday on a weekend between errands or leisure, or start it before a long day of work, appointments, and after school activities.
Delicious Pairings for Salisbury Steak
One of the best things about Salisbury steak is the multiple ways you can serve it based on your personal preference.
Our slow cooker Salisbury steak also pairs deliciously with egg noodles, which are quick and easy, and amazing with gravy.
If you want to add veggies on the side, this quick and easy toaster oven broccoli recipe cooks up in no time.
In a shallow bowl or plate, add your choice of base and then top with the steak, mushrooms, onions, and of course, gravy.
With this hearty and satisfying meal, you will be full and content in no time.
Ready for dinner? Get our slow cooker salisbury steak recipe below!
Planning a dinner party and need some inspiration?
How about looking for a new slow cooker dinner idea?
We’ve got you covered in our ever-growing Facebook group! If you’re not a member yet, why not?!
We’re chatting cooking techniques, dessert ideas, and everything in between. If you’re already a member, invite your friends to join us too!
Nicole is a self-published author of fiction novels, and a lover of food and spending time in the kitchen with her six children. She lives in coastal Maine where she loves exploring new recipes especially those that can save time, money and wow a crowd.Tags: Slow Cooker, Crock Pot, Easy Dinners, Easy, Family Meals and Snacks, Comfort Food, Ground Beef, Beef, Onions, Mushrooms