Slow Cooker Salisbury Steaks RecipeKatie Jasiewicz | Katie's Cucina
This slow cooker Salisbury steaks recipe is the comfort food you have been craving. Easy, delicious, and so satisfying!
This easy slow cooker Salisbury steaks recipe is a favorite family meal! It is comfort food at its finest.
Growing up, I loved the school lunch Salisbury steak. I know many kids didn't like it, but I've always figured that if you slap gravy on just about anything it will end up being delicious.
Or at least that's how I feel.
I love, love Salisbury steak - probably because it's smothered in gravy!
Because I wanted to make Salisbury steak even easier to make, I decided to try making Salisbury steaks in the slow cooker.
Spoiler alert: It is seriously delicious! Gravy lovers, you will love this one.
I love making this slow cooker salisbury steaks recipe and make it at least once a month. It's now a family favorite!
I was pleasantly surprised when I first made this recipe to find that it turned out just as good as my skillet version and requires much less hands on time.
I know we all really appreciate an easy slow cooker recipe on busy days and this one is amazing.
My slow cooker Salisbury steaks take just a few minutes to put together. You have to mix the ground beef with the seasonings and whisk together the gravy.
All the time for searing and flipping and stirring gravy of a traditional Salisbury steak recipe has gone out the window thanks to the slow cooker.
This is an easy weeknight dinner that you can prep earlier in the day or prepare it as an easy yet decadent weekend meal.
Salisbury Steak Recipe
So, how do you make salisbury steak? It's easy!
To make this homemade Salisbury steak recipe, you will need:
- Baby portobello mushrooms - Sliced thin, the mushrooms add loads of flavor to the Salisbury steak
- Onion - White or yellow onion, thinly sliced, is the perfect complement to the mushrooms
- Lean ground beef - With the addition of gravy the lean ground beef cooks slow and tender
- Steak seasoning - Store bought or homemade steak seasoning add tons of flavor
- Worcestershire sauce - Used in both the Sailsbury steak patties and the gravy
- Dried onion flakes - Build up the flavor with the addition of dried onion flakes in the patties
- Dried parsley - Parsley lends a nice herbal freshness to this Salisbury steak recipe
- Breadcrumbs - Plain or Italian breadcrumbs work well for this recipe
- Egg - A single egg is needed to help as a binder in the steak patties
- Cornstarch - The cornstarch is used to thicken the beef gravy
- Beef broth - Make an easy beef gravy using beef broth
- Black pepper - Season the beef gravy to taste with black pepper
How to Make Salisbury Steak
To amplify the flavor of this salisbury steak recipe I start by adding slices of baby portobello mushrooms and onions to the bottom of the slow cooker, after first spraying it generously with non-stick cooking spray.
Next mix the ground beef with steak seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, onion flakes, parsley flakes, breadcrumbs and an egg.
Combine well with your hands, then form it into patties.
Layer the patties into the slow cooker on top of the sliced mushrooms and onions. It's totally ok if the patties overlap a bit.
Next you make the simple gravy mix, whisking it very well to avoid any lumps.
Pour the gravy overtop of the Salisbury steaks. Close the lid and cook on high 3 to 4 hours.
Alternately, cook on low for 6 to 8 hours until cooked through to your liking.
I'm so happy that my slow cooker version worked out and tastes just as good as the skillet version!
If you prefer your Salisbury steak to have crispy, seared edges, you could sear in a pan for a few minutes before moving the patties to the slow cooker.
My slow cooker is an oval shaped 6 quart slow cooker, which easily fit six patties without having to stack the patties. Again, a little bit of overlap is ok.
If the size of your slow cooker requires you to stack, use a layer of onions and mushrooms in between layers of Salisbury steak to prevent sticking.
How to Serve Salisbury Steaks
Traditionally Salisbury steak is served over mashed potatoes with lots of extra gravy.
(Another great, lower carb options is mashed cauliflower!)
It is also common to see Salisbury steak served with egg noddles as I did here.
Use a shallow bowl or large dinner plate, add the mashed potates, egg noodles or another pasta of your choice.
Add a Salisbury steak pattie, then spoon extra mushrooms and onions on top. Ladle extra gravy to your liking.
Optionally, a bit of fresh parsley on top makes a great addition to the flavors of this Salisbury steak recipe.
I tossed my egg noodles in butter and added a pinch of salt, pepper and dried parsley flakes before adding the Salisbury steak and gravy.
These Salibusry steaks turned out great! If you’re looking for the ultimate comfort food, I invite you to try my slow cooker Salisbury steak recipe.
You may also want to give this skillet beef tips and gravy recipe a try or check out this easy Philly cheesesteak pasta recipe!
Are you tired of the dinner routine?
Stuck in a rut or looking for fun new recipes to try?
Our Facebook Group is growing every day! If you haven’t joined yet, we invite you to come check it out and join the fun.
You can ask for recipe ideas, talk about cooking techniques, or get help figuring out the right new pan set for you. If you’ve already joined, invite a friend along!
Slow Cooker Salisbury Steaks Recipe
- 1 cup Baby Portabello Mushrooms, Sliced
- 1 Onion, Thinly sliced
- 1 1/3 pounds Lean Ground Beef
- 1 tablespoon Steak Seasoning
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce, Divided
- 1 teaspoon Dried Onion Flakes
- 1 teaspoon Dried Parsley
- 1/2 cup Breadcrumbs, Plain or Italian
- 1 Egg
- 3 tablespoons Cornstarch, Divided
- 2 cups Beef Broth
- 1/8 teaspoon Black Pepper
- Spray a large 6-quart oval slow cooker with cooking spray. Then add the sliced mushrooms and onions to the bottom.
- Next, prepare the ground beef mixture. Combine the ground beef, steak seasoning, 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce, dried onion flakes, parsley, breadcrumbs and egg together. Mix well.
- Divide the mixture into 4-6 patties. Form each patty into an oval shape, pressing thin, and then place in the slow cooker (make sure you spread evenly in the slow cooker and do not stack).
- Mix together the 2 cups of beef broth, 2-tablespoons Worchester sauce, 2 tablespoons cornstarch, and black pepper. Whisk until smooth then pour on top of beef patties. Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook for 4 hours on high.
- Once the Salisbury steak is done cooking, remove the steaks from the slow cooker.
- In a small bowl add one-tablespoon cornstarch with 2 tablespoons water. Stir the cornstarch water mixture into the gravy in the slow cooker. Mix until thickened.
- Serve each Salisbury steak with mushroom and onion gravy on top of egg noodles or mashed potatoes. Enjoy.
- Omit the extra tablespoon of cornstarch and water if your gravy is already at your desired thickness.
- Katie Jasiewicz
- Cooking Method:
- Slow Cooker
- One Pot Meals, Slow Cooker, Slow Cooked, Beef, Easy, Easy Dinners, Comfort Food, Mushrooms
- Related Recipes:
- One Pot Meal Recipes, Slow Cooker Recipes, Slow Cooked Recipes, Beef Recipes, Easy Recipes, Easy Dinner Recipes, Comfort Food Recipes, Mushroom Recipes, Exclusive Recipes
- Recipe Yields:
- 6 servings
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Related Post:
Author: Katie Jasiewicz
Recipe Yields: 6 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 240 minutes
Total Time: 255 minutes
Amount Per Serving