Learn how to cook fried chicken! You’ll love the homemade taste.
Tips for Making Fried Chicken
- Use buttermilk and allow the chicken to soak in it for several hours.
- Dredge to perfection before frying.
- Always use good oil.
How to Cook Fried Chicken
- Marinate the chicken in buttermilk overnight in the refrigerator. You can add seasonings to the buttermilk, if you’d like.
- Take the chicken out of the refrigerator 30 minutes before cooking.
- Dredge the chicken in flour mixed with salt, white pepper and other seasonings of your choice. (KFC uses 11 different kinds!) Shake off excess coating.
- Fill a cast iron skillet 2/3 full with peanut oil or canola oil. (You’ll need an oil that can withstand high heat.)
- Place the oil over medium-high heat until it’s 360 degrees F. Add some of the chicken in a single layer (you can do this in batches.)
- Fry the chicken until it is brown and golden on both sides and reaches an internal temperature of 165˚F, about 10 minutes per batch.
- Adjust the heat to keep the oil between 350 to 375˚F. Drain the chicken on a rack set over a baking sheet. Let it rest 8-10 minutes.
- To make extra crispy chicken, fry it a second time for three minutes.
Making Oven Fried Chicken
If you’d like to cut down on fat and calories, you can make oven-fried chicken. Just dredge the chicken in flour and seasonings, then bake in a greased 9x13 pan for 30 minutes per side. For a gluten-free version, use gluten-free flour.
What to Serve with Fried Chicken
Are you tired of the dinner routine?
Stuck in a rut or looking for fun new recipes to try?
Our Facebook Group is growing every day! If you haven’t joined yet, we invite you to come check it out and join the fun.
You can ask for recipe ideas, talk about cooking techniques, or get help figuring out the right new pan set for you. If you’ve already joined, invite a friend along!