This easy Cool Ranch seasoning lets you flavor anything with that classic Doritos flavor. Use it on popcorn, homemade tortilla chips, or even tacos!
Do you love Cool Ranch flavor? Learn how to make this easy and delicious Cool Ranch seasoning and take your savory snacking up a level!
I’m a huge fan of ranch dressing and anything flavored like it. I dip pizza in ranch, I dip chips in ranch, I obviously dip veggies and crudites in ranch. And I love a savory snack.
Pretzels, popcorn, chips and crackers are my favorites. So when you mix the two together to make savory, salty, Cool Ranch-flavored snacks, I can’t resist.
What is Cool Ranch Seasoning?
Inspired by the legendary flavors of Cool Ranch Doritos, this tasty Cool Ranch seasoning is basically ranch seasoning that’s got extra savory flavors.
Think of it as ranch that is extra flavorful! It's perfect for using as a seasoning or mixing into a dip or dressing. It's delicious!
What Is Cool Ranch Seasoning Made Of?
Cool Ranch seasoning is mostly made from pantry staples and dried spices, which is why it's so simple to make!
- Dry Ranch Dressing Mix gives the Cool Ranch flavor a major headstart.
- White Cheddar Cheese powder gives Cool Ranch seasoning a creamy, salty flavor. You can buy white cheddar cheese powder online, or just use the powdered cheese packet from a box of white cheddar mac and cheese!
- Garlic powder and onion powder are two savory dried spice staples. While both flavors will already be present in small amounts in the dry ranch dressing mix, they’ll get a big boost when we add even more to our Cool Ranch seasoning recipe.
- Paprika lends the Cool Ranch seasoning a sweet, milk pepper flavor and a little color.
- Turmeric is added for color as well, but is completely optional.
- Salt helps all the flavors of savory snacks come through, so our Cool Ranch seasoning is rounded out with just a little extra salt.
Where Did the Cool Ranch Flavor Start?
Cool Ranch Doritos made their snack aisle debut in 1986 and quickly became a popular alternative to the classic nacho flavor of the brand’s tortilla chips.
Although other flavors of Doritos have come and gone over the years, Cool Ranch keeps going strong.
What Can I Do With Cool Ranch Seasoning?
Cool Ranch seasoning can be added to all kinds of savory snack recipes to give them an extra boost of flavor!
Mix Cool Ranch seasoning with sour cream to make easy and delicious homemade dip.
Cool Ranch Seasoning stirred into a bowl of sour cream makes a great dip for raw veggies, pretzel sticks, and more.
And Cool Ranch Seasoning mixed with softened cream cheese makes a really yummy homemade spread for bagels, sandwiches, and crackers.
You can even use Cool Ranch Seasoning to flavor main dishes. It pairs really well with cheesy chicken dishes, savory brunch staples such as this Southwest breakfast casserole or recipes like our Ranch cheddar chicken tenders.
How Long Does Cool Ranch Seasoning Last?
Dried spices, the foundation of Cool Ranch seasoning, usually last a year or two at the most before they start to lose their flavor.
Cool Ranch seasoning also contains cheddar cheese powder, which needs to be stored in a cool, dry place and stays fresh for about a year and a half.
So stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator (or even the freezer), your homemade Cool Ranch seasoning should last a year to a year and a half.
Planning a dinner party and need some inspiration?
How about looking for a new slow cooker dinner idea?
We’ve got you covered in our ever-growing Facebook group! If you’re not a member yet, why not?!
We’re chatting cooking techniques, dessert ideas, and everything in between. If you’re already a member, invite your friends to join us too!