Southwestern Breakfast Casserole RecipeRebekah Garcia Kalinowski | Kitchen Gidget
Southwestern Breakfast Casserole is a hearty Tex Mex meal full of eggs, sausage, and cheese. A total crowd-pleaser!
Southwestern Breakfast Casserole with chorizo sausage, hash browns and plenty of cheese! Take breakfast from boring to flavor-town with this easy egg bake!
This recipe has been a staple in my family for decades. I absolutely love recipes that are passed down from generation to generation! This particular recipe card contains handwritten notes from both my grandmother and mom.
For example, my grandma wrote that this casserole tastes better with the addition of peppers and onion, and to serve with salsa (guajillo chile salsa is excellent!). When I received the recipe before heading off to college, my mother noted that I could purchase frozen hash browns that already contain diced onion and peppers in the bag.
My personal revision to this recipe when passing is on now is to add twelve eggs instead of the nine that were originally called for. The extra eggs make a thicker, fluffier casserole (which I like) and increases the amount of servings. Since it serves a lot, we most often eat this casserole when we have a family gathering or holiday. If it’s not this casserole, you can bet we’re eating grandma’s papas con huevos (potato and egg tacos).
There’s nothing like waking up to a piping hot breakfast! It says “I care about you” and let us start our day together. Some of the best memories I have are of those times!
We like to serve this dish with salsa. It goes perfectly with the chorizo and cheese. Being Mexican, we usually have tortillas and refried beans on hand as well, but this casserole is a meal within itself. In fact, it can also be served as an easy dinner!
One last note – be sure to use Mexican-style chorizo which is a fresh sausage that can be cooked like ground beef, as opposed to Spanish-style chorizo which is cured like a hard salami. I hope you’ll try this recipe and make memories with your own friends and family!
Planning a dinner party and need some inspiration?
How about looking for a new slow cooker dinner idea?
We’ve got you covered in our ever-growing Facebook group! If you’re not a member yet, why not?!
We’re chatting cooking techniques, dessert ideas, and everything in between. If you’re already a member, invite your friends to join us too!
Southwestern Breakfast Casserole Recipe
- 1 24 ounce bag Frozen Hash Browns
- 1 pound Mexican-Style Chorizo Sausage, Casing removed
- 1/2 Green Pepper, Or red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 small Onion, Diced
- 12 large Eggs
- 1/4 cup Butter, Melted
- 2 cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese, 8 ounces
- Salsa, For serving, optional
- Remove hash browns from freezer while preparing other ingredients to thaw. Lightly grease a 13x9 baking dish.
- In a large frying pan over medium heat, cook and crumble the chorizo, about 7-10 minutes. Drain grease, if necessary, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs and melted butter. Mix in the chorizo sausage, bell pepper and onion, and pour into baking dish. Add hash browns on top and sprinkle cheese on top of hash browns.
- Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes. Serve with salsa, if desired.
- Rebekah Garcia Kalinowski
- Tex Mex
- Cheese, Breakfasts, Brunches, Casseroles, Easy, Easy Dinners, Potlucks, Eggs, Potatoes, Sausage, Tex Mex
- Related Recipes:
- Cheese Recipes, Breakfast Recipes, Brunch Recipes, Casserole Recipes, Easy Recipes, Easy Dinner Recipes, Potluck Recipes, Egg Recipes, Potato Recipes, Sausage Recipes, Tex Mex Recipes
- Recipe Yields:
- 12 servings
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Related Post:
Author: Rebekah Garcia Kalinowski
Recipe Yields: 12 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 60 minutes
Amount Per Serving