Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole RecipeRebekah Garcia Kalinowski | Kitchen Gidget
Enjoy the great taste of cheeseburgers all year round with the best cheeseburger tater tot casserole. Cheesy ground beef topped with crispy tater tots is an easy dinner everyone will enjoy!
This cheeseburger tater tot casserole is the bomb! Seriously delicious and seriously easy to throw together.
Have you ever tried taking hamburgers to a potluck? Not a good idea since they’re best served immediately.
This casserole feeds a crowd and transports well. Plus, it’s simple enough for a quick weeknight meal.
Serve with a side salad and no bake Blueberry Delight for a complete meal that’s sure to wow anytime of the year.
It’s especially comforting in the winter when you’re pining for some summer sunshine!
Instead of seasoning and forming hamburger patties, simply cook and crumble ground beef along with onion, ketchup and mustard, spices and diced tomatoes.
Regular diced or petite diced tomatoes are fine, just make sure you use the whole can with their juice.
Layer the meat in a casserole dish and top with your favorite cheese (cheddar is my go-to).
I always freshly shred my cheese for maximum flavor and melty-ness. Takes less than 15 seconds in my food processor.
Cheese slices would work with this cheeseburger tater tot casserole recipe as well!
But I like to shred my cheese and I also quickly chop my onions in the food processor so it gets used twice.
Saves time and then I throw the bowl in the dishwasher for easy cleanup!
The ingredient that sends this over the top is the tater tots.
Tots, tots, tots! Those crispy-soft potato pillows are irresistible!
You can also use frozen French fries as a topping for a classic cheeseburger and fries meal.
Or, if you have leftover mashed potatoes they transform this into a great “cheeseburger shepherd’s pie.”
After baking, I like to top with some extra cheeseburger toppings like red onion and pickles.
If you have a favorite topping feel free to add it to the meat layer or on top after baking!
One of my favorite twists to this cheeseburger casserole is the Mushroom Swiss Burger Casserole which is full of umami flavor (and tots!).
Are you tired of the dinner routine?
Stuck in a rut or looking for fun new recipes to try?
Our Facebook Group is growing every day! If you haven’t joined yet, we invite you to come check it out and join the fun.
You can ask for recipe ideas, talk about cooking techniques, or get help figuring out the right new pan set for you. If you’ve already joined, invite a friend along!
Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole Recipe
- 2 pounds Ground Beef
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons Hamburger Seasoning
- 1/4 cup Ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Mustard
- 1 14.5 ounce can Diced Tomatoes, with juice
- 2 cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese, 8 ounces
- 32 ounces Frozen Tater Tots, (1 bag)
- Favorite Cheeseburger Toppings, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly grease 13x9 baking dish; set aside.
- In a large pan brown the ground beef and onion over high heat. Drain any excess grease.
- Mix in hamburger seasoning, ketchup, mustard and diced tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking.
- Pour into prepared dish. Top with cheese. Arrange frozen tater tots in a single layer on top.
- Bake uncovered at 400°F for 35-45 minutes or until bubbly and potatoes are golden and crisp.
- Top with favorite cheeseburger toppings (such as pickles) if desired.
- Make your own hamburger seasoning substitute: 3 teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Rebekah Garcia Kalinowski
- Cooking Method:
- Cheese, Ground Beef, Pickles, Potatoes, Casseroles, Easy Dinners, Easy, Baked
- Related Recipes:
- Cheese Recipes, Ground Beef Recipes, Pickle Recipes, Potato Recipes, Casserole Recipes, Easy Dinner Recipes, Easy Recipes, Baked Recipes
- Recipe Yields:
- 8 servings
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Related Post:
Author: Rebekah Garcia Kalinowski
Recipe Yields: 8 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Amount Per Serving