Buffalo Chicken Calzones RecipeRebekah Garcia Kalinowski | Kitchen Gidget
These buffalo chicken calzones are great for gameday grub! Filled with spicy chicken and oozing with lots of mozzarella cheese.
If you’ve followed my blog for a while you know we’re semi-obsessed with buffalo chicken recipes around here.
These buffalo chicken calzones are similar to my buffalo chicken empanadas, but there are some key differences:
1. These are baked not fried. So they’re automatically healthier although you’d never be able to tell with the amazing spicy flavor!
2. They’re loaded with mozzarella cheese instead of blue cheese. Of course, you can always add both!
3. Larger in size than an empanada. More is better!
These calzones are more of a meal to me, while the empanadas are a snack or appetizer. My husband wanted giant meal-sized calzones so I made 2 calzones out of 1 pizza crust, instead of 4 reasonably sized calzones.
I love how easy these are to whip up. The recipe is also extremely easy to double or triple for a party. Make these calzones and a tray of Little Smokies Wrapped in Bacon and you will be set!
You will need to have cooked chicken on hand (shredded) and a premade pizza dough (uncooked).
Mix the chicken with hot sauce or buffalo sauce and set aside.
For the dough you can certainly make it from scratch (learn how to make pizza dough) or buy one from the store. You can usually find pizza dough in the frozen or refrigerated section and they range from 13-16 ounces.
Divide the dough into 2 or 4 sections. Press or roll each piece into a circle. No need to strive for perfection here – a rough shape will work.
Place the fillings on the bottom half of the dough so you can fold the top over. I like to layer my fillings: cheese, spicy chicken, then more cheese.
Pinch the ends to seal, use a fork or a fancy twist. If you’re having trouble getting the dough to stick together, dab it with a bit of water and try sealing again.
Lastly before baking, poke a couple slices in the top of the calzone with a knife so the steam can vent.
I like to serve these with ranch or blue cheese dressing for dipping. You can’t go wrong with marinara either!
Planning a dinner party and need some inspiration?
How about looking for a new slow cooker dinner idea?
We’ve got you covered in our ever-growing Facebook group! If you’re not a member yet, why not?!
We’re chatting cooking techniques, dessert ideas, and everything in between. If you’re already a member, invite your friends to join us too!
Buffalo Chicken Calzones Recipe
- 2 cups Cooked Shredded Chicken
- 1/4 cup Hot Sauce
- Prepared Pizza Dough
- 1 cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese, (4 ounces)
- Blue Cheese, or Ranch Dressing, for serving
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Lightly grease baking sheet and set aside.
- Combine the chicken and hot sauce; set aside.
- Divide dough into 2 or 4 pieces (2 for giant calzones, 4 for regular size). Roll or press dough into rough circle.
- For 2 calzones, to the bottom center of dough add 1/4 cup cheese, 1 cup chicken and top with 1/4 cup cheese. Fold over dough and seal edges to form a pocket. Dab edges with water if they won’t stick together.
- Place on prepared baking sheet and cut 3 little slices in the top to vent. Repeat with remaining dough and ingredients.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes at 425°F until golden and bubbly. Let cool slightly before eating. Serve with ranch or blue cheese dressing for dipping.
- Rebekah Garcia Kalinowski
- Cooking Method:
- Cheese, Chicken, Spicy, Easy Dinners, Dinners, Party Food, Baked, Easy Lunches, Easy
- Related Recipes:
- Cheese Recipes, Chicken Recipes, Spicy Recipes, Easy Dinner Recipes, Dinner Recipes, Party Food Recipes, Baked Recipes, Easy Lunch Recipes, Easy Recipes
- Recipe Yields:
- 4 servings
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Related Post:
Author: Rebekah Garcia Kalinowski
Recipe Yields: 4 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Amount Per Serving