White Chicken Lasagna RecipeRebekah Garcia Kalinowski | Kitchen Gidget
White chicken lasagna is so creamy and delicious! This is one family favorite that will stick around for generations!
This is my mom’s recipes for white chicken lasagna. It’s one of my family’s absolute favorite dinners of all time.
It is so creamy and delicious! Plus, it’s a nice change from traditional lasagna with red sauce and beef. Growing up, some of the family was sensitive to tomato-based sauces, but we always gobbled this one up!
All three of my siblings have flown the coop, but it’s often requested when visits home are made. We always request chicken casserole with broccoli, and Puerto Rican rice as well. They are comfort classics!
This white chicken lasagna is pretty easy to put together. There are four components — pasta, chicken, cheese and white sauce. Let’s start with the pasta.
My mom uses regular lasagna noodles that she boils before assembling. I use no-boil lasagna because it’s quicker for me. Either one works!
You’ll need chicken that’s cooked and chopped. I take after my mom’s method here and poach my chicken breasts. Sometimes I have cooked chicken on hand (from crockpot leftovers or a rotisserie), but poaching is quick and easy.
To quickly chop the chicken, I throw it in my food processor with some salt, pepper and garlic powder. A few pulses and — voila! — it’s finely chopped. You can also use a knife, fork or shred it with your fingers.
For the cheese I love sharp cheddar and of course I always buy it by the brick. It melts so much better than the pre-shredded bags. To shred it quickly, I use the plate on my trusty food processor.
Now for the sauce…this is what makes the lasagna taste so amazing! When I asked my mom to send me the recipe, I was shocked to discover it contains sour cream and mayonnaise. No wonder it tastes insanely delicious!
The white sauce starts with a basic béchamel (butter, flour, milk) and it’s lightened up a bit by using chicken broth for half the milk. I don’t worry about the calories with this one. It’s definitely a treat and totally worth it!
Planning a dinner party and need some inspiration?
How about looking for a new slow cooker dinner idea?
We’ve got you covered in our ever-growing Facebook group! If you’re not a member yet, why not?!
We’re chatting cooking techniques, dessert ideas, and everything in between. If you’re already a member, invite your friends to join us too!
White Chicken Lasagna Recipe
- 2 cups Milk
- 2 cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 6 tablespoons Butter
- 1/2 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 3 cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 4 cups Cooked Chicken, chopped, about 1 1/2 raw
- 1 box No Boil Lasagna Noodles
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking dish. In a microwave or small saucepan, warm the milk and broth together; set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the warmed milk and broth and bring to a boil stirring constantly. Cook for 2 minutes or until sauce has thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in sour cream, mayonnaise, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Assemble the lasagna by layering 1 cup of white sauce on the bottom of baking dish. Top with 3 sheets of lasagna, 1 heaping cup chicken, 1 cup cheese and 2 cups of sauce. Repeat layers 2 more times.
- Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking for 5-10 minutes or until top is browned and bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
- Rebekah Garcia Kalinowski
- Cooking Method:
- Cheese, Pasta, Dinners, Family Meals and Snacks, Chicken, Baked, Lasagna
- Related Recipes:
- Cheese Recipes, Pasta Recipes, Dinner Recipes, Family Meals and Snack Recipes, Chicken Recipes, Baked Recipes, Lasagna Recipes
- Recipe Yields:
- 12 servings
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Related Post:
Author: Rebekah Garcia Kalinowski
Recipe Yields: 12 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 60 minutes
Amount Per Serving