Spicy Butternut Squash Bread RecipeKate Donahue | Food Babbles
Spicy Butternut Squash Bread is all you need during the cold weather months. Warm and comforting.
Here in New Jersey, the cold snap of winter certainly took its time getting here. Not that I was complaining. I thoroughly enjoying our 65 and 70 degree December days.
But those are now long gone. Winter arrived and we’ve been fully chilled here now. These colder days have me craving comfort food.
For me, that usually means I make my way to the kitchen, fire up the oven and start baking. The things I personally find most comforting when it comes to cold weather baking are sweets baked with all those warm wintery spices.
Allspice, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon. These spices always make me feel instantly warm just smelling them!
Recently I made a sweet potato spice cake that was spectacular. Filled with all those beautiful spices, moist and tender.
I transformed it into a cranberry cherry spice cake trifle for the holidays. The spiced cake with the tart cranberries, sweet cherries and notes of citrus was amazing.
As I thought about those sweet potatoes in that unique spice cake, it made me think about another favorite food of mine and spicy butternut squash bread was born.
From autumn straight through until the arrival of spring, roasted butternut squash is something I make at least once a week, if not more! So why not a butternut squash quick bread recipe?
With a similar flavor profile to pumpkin, I had no doubt it would be a smashing success.
I roasted the butternut squash to add that deep, caramelized flavor that created a slight savory note to this sweet spice bread. Paired with cinnamon, cloves, ginger and notes of citrus, these loaves are sweet, spicy and just a touch savory.
This spicy butternut squash bread recipe is tender, moist and oh so very easy to make. Stir together a few ingredients, pop the loaves in the oven and voila!
Spiced, sweet, comfort food perfect for these cold winter months.
Are you tired of the dinner routine?
Stuck in a rut or looking for fun new recipes to try?
Our Facebook Group is growing every day! If you haven’t joined yet, we invite you to come check it out and join the fun.
You can ask for recipe ideas, talk about cooking techniques, or get help figuring out the right new pan set for you. If you’ve already joined, invite a friend along!
Spicy Butternut Squash Bread Recipe
- 1 medium Butternut Squash, Cubed
- 2 teaspoons Olive Oil
- 1 cup White Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon Finely Grated Orange Zest
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon Ground Cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1 1/2 cups Coconut Sugar
- 3/4 cup Unsalted Butter, Softened
- 2 large Eggs
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Toss butternut squash with olive oil. Spread onto a baking sheet and roast in preheated oven for 30-40 minutes, until browned and tender. Puree. Set aside.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°F. Spray two 8x4-inch loaf pans with nonstick baking spray containing flour. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together both flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, orange zest, and spices. Set aside.
- In a large bowl (or the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment), beat together coconut sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add squash puree. Beat to combine.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating until combined.
- Slowly add the flour mixture, beating to incorporate, being sure to not overmix.
- Divide batter evenly between prepared pans.
- Bake in preheated oven for 60–75 minutes, or until a tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let loaves cool in pan for 15 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Kate Donahue
- Adapted from Once Upon A Chef
- Cooking Method:
- Bread, Quick Bread, Baking, Baked, Squash, Spicy, Cinnamon, Ginger, Easy, Breakfasts, Brunches, Snacks, Family Meals and Snacks
- Related Recipes:
- Bread Recipes, Quick Bread Recipes, Baking Recipes, Baked Recipes, Squash Recipes, Spicy Recipes, Cinnamon Recipes, Ginger Recipes, Easy Recipes, Breakfast Recipes, Brunch Recipes, Snack Recipes, Family Meals and Snack Recipes
- Recipe Yields:
- 16 servings
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Related Post:
Author: Kate Donahue
Source: Adapted from Once Upon A Chef
Recipe Yields: 16 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 105 minutes
Total Time: 120 minutes
Amount Per Serving