Lemon Coconut Muffins RecipeStacey Mebs | Bake.Eat.Repeat.
These lemon coconut muffins make the perfect breakfast or snack. Easy to make, they freeze well, and everyone loves them. Perfect for breakfast on the go!
We make muffins like crazy at my house.
Do anyone else's kids demolish muffins at what can only be described as a ridiculous rate? I swear I make a batch of muffins and they're gone before they've even completely cooled sometimes.
Okay, maybe it's not quite that ridiculous, but pretty close. Granted, there are five people here so I really shouldn't expect a single batch of muffins to last for more then a couple of days. But it still surprises me every time when they're gone so quickly.
Oh well, just means I get to do more baking. And my kids are starting to love baking too, which is perfect since muffins make such an easy recipe for them to make on their own.
We all love these lemon coconut muffins. The perfect breakfast or snack, they freeze well (although I usually don't need to make use of this fact), and they're so easy to make.
That's one of the things I love about muffins. You can have them ready to go in the oven by the time it's warmed up.
That, and the fact that they are the perfect snack or breakfast on the go.
If you like lemon and coconut, you will love these lemon coconut muffins!
Do you let muffins cool in the pan?
You should let muffins cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes after coming out of the oven. Then move them to a wire rack to cool completely.
If you try to take them out immediately after baking they tend to stick to the pan more. They also stick a bit more when left to cool completely in the pan.
Can I freeze muffins?
You can definitely freeze these lemon coconut muffins. I do it all the time. The best way to freeze muffins is to let them cool completely. Then freeze them in an airtight container or large ziplock bag.
They can thaw at room temperature in a lunch kit and be great for lunch, microwave them for a minute or so, or reheat them in the oven at 350F for 5-10 minutes. If you have time to reheat them in the oven that gives them the best "fresh from the oven" taste.
What's the best way to store muffins?
I like to store my muffins at room temperature in a large container, but with the lid unsealed. Letting some air at the muffins keeps them from getting soggy, as muffins tend to do when they are in a completely airtight container.
If you think you will have the muffins for more then 2-3 days, you will want to keep them in an airtight container so they don't dry out. I would also recommend placing some paper towel on the bottom of the container and some more on top of the muffins to help absorb some of the moisture.
You can reheat them in the oven (350F for 5-10 minutes) to crisp up the top a bit before serving them.
How to make Lemon Coconut Muffins:
- We like these lemon coconut muffins sprinkled with shredded coconut and coarse sugar on top. You could definitely leave it off if you like though.
- I love making muffins in this stoneware muffin pan, they tend to rise a little bit better in it then they do in a regular muffin tin. But if you have one, keep in mind that muffins typically take a little longer to bake in this kind of pan, so plan on adding an extra 5 minutes or so to your bake time.
- Using a trigger style ice cream scoop to portion your muffin batter into the muffin pan will help give you evenly sized muffins with nice rounded tops.
- I like to use a food processor for mixing the sugar and lemon zest together, as this helps give the muffins a better lemon flavour. You can just stir everything together in a bowl instead if you like, but the lemon flavour won't be quite as pronounced.
Here are some more great lemon recipes for you:
Lemon Coconut Muffins Recipe
- zest and juice from one Lemon
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
- 2 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 2 large Eggs
- 4 tablespoons Unsalted Butter, melted and cooled
- 4 tablespoons Canola Oil
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Extract
- Coarse Sugar, optional
- Shredded Coconut
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Lightly spray a 12-cup muffin tin with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a food processor, combine the lemon zest and the granulated sugar until they are well combined, and the sugar is lightly yellow and fragrant. Alternatively you can just rub the lemon zest into the sugar in a large bowl.
- Add the eggs, butter, oil, milk, lemon extract, and lemon juice and mix well.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the coconut, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Make a well in this mixture and pour the wet ingredients into it. Stir until everything is just combined.
- Fill the muffin cups with the batter, dividing it between the 12 cups. They will be almost full.
- Sprinkle the tops with coarse sugar and more shredded coconut, if desired.
- Bake for 5 minutes. Lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees F, and continue baking for another 14-17 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Allow the muffins to cool in the muffin tin for 5-10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- If you don’t have lemon extract, you can use vanilla instead, but we do like the extra lemon flavour that you get in the muffins with lemon extract added. They will still be lemony with vanilla instead, but it will be less noticeable, and you might want to add some extra lemon zest then.
- Stacey Mebs
- Cooking Method:
- Lunchbox, Lemons, Coconut, Muffins, Breakfasts, Brunches, Snacks, Family Meals and Snacks, Baking, Baked, Make Ahead, Freezer Meals, Freezing
- Related Recipes:
- Lunchbox Recipes, Lemon Recipes, Coconut Recipes, Muffin Recipes, Breakfast Recipes, Brunch Recipes, Snack Recipes, Family Meals and Snack Recipes, Baking Recipes, Baked Recipes, Make Ahead Recipes, Freezer Meal Recipes, Freezing Recipes
- Recipe Yields:
- 12 muffins
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Related Post:
Author: Stacey Mebs
Recipe Yields: 12 muffins
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Amount Per Serving