Lemon Cookies RecipeStacey Mebs | Bake.Eat.Repeat.
These lemon cookies are soft and chewy and absolutely delicious. Coat them in powdered sugar before baking for amazing crinkle cookies everyone will love!
One of the most popular recipes on my website is this one for raspberry lemon cookies. It's been the most popular recipe almost from the day I posted it and it hasn't slowed down.
Everyone that makes those cookies loves them. Everyone I've made them for loves them.
I'm not even exaggerating when I say that they seem to be popular with everyone that tries them.
Which, let's be honest, is a little odd. With most recipes, some people love them, some hate them, some think they're just okay.... you don't usually have the same response from everybody that tries it.
And that's totally fine, we can't all like the same things. But everyone likes those raspberry lemon cookies.
So, it was really only logical to post a recipe for plain and simple lemon cookies as well. Since clearly, we all enjoy soft and chewy lemon cookies.
But really, what's not to like?
They're easy to make, filled with sweet and tangy lemon flavour from fresh lemon juice and lemon zest and mix up easily in just a few minutes.
You do need to chill this dough, it's way too sticky to roll into balls and coat in powdered sugar right after mixing it, but after chilling it for an hour it's doable.
They bake up soft and chewy with that crackly, crinkly texture from the powdered sugar, and they stay soft and chewy for days.
They freeze well too, so you can make them ahead of time, although I would put wax paper between layers of cookies so they don't stick together as they are quite soft.
I think these lemon cookies disappeared in two days. There's only five of us, that's kind of ridiculous.
It really shouldn't have surprised me though. Like I said, everyone loves lemon cookies!
Planning a dinner party and need some inspiration?
How about looking for a new slow cooker dinner idea?
We’ve got you covered in our ever-growing Facebook group! If you’re not a member yet, why not?!
We’re chatting cooking techniques, dessert ideas, and everything in between. If you’re already a member, invite your friends to join us too!
Lemon Cookies Recipe
- 2 teaspoons Lemon Zest, 1 lemon
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup Unsalted Butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 large Egg
- 1/4 cup Lemon Juice, from 1 to 2 lemons
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/8 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup Powdered Sugar
- In a food processor, or the bowl of a stand mixer, mix together the sugar and lemon zest until well combined and the sugar is lightly yellow and fragrant.
- Add the softened butter to the sugar and mix until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla, egg, and lemon juice and mix well, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add the salt, baking powder, baking soda and flour and mix until combined.
- Chill the dough for one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
- Roll the cookie dough into tablespoon sized balls, roll them in powdered sugar and place them 2 inches apart on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-11 minutes or until they are just starting to brown on the edges and are no longer shiny. Do not over bake the cookies.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5-10 minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 5-7 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Stacey Mebs
- Adapted from my Raspberry Lemon Cookies.
- Cooking Method:
- Lunchbox, Cookies, Snacks, Family Meals and Snacks, Desserts, Baking, Baked, Lemons
- Related Recipes:
- Lunchbox Recipes, Cookie Recipes, Snack Recipes, Family Meals and Snack Recipes, Dessert Recipes, Baking Recipes, Baked Recipes, Lemon Recipes
- Recipe Yields:
- 24 cookies
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Related Post:
Author: Stacey Mebs
Source: Adapted from my Raspberry Lemon Cookies.
Recipe Yields: 24 cookies
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Amount Per Serving