Kumquat Smash RecipeSusan Palmer | Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
Kumquat Smash would be perfect for celebrating Cinco de Mayo. So refreshing!
You know how some people can’t be trusted in a shoe store, jewelry shop or way back in the day a record store? Well I’m that way in a special food store or farmer’s market. You can’t leave me alone or unsupervised because it’s likely I’ll spend way too much money and walk out of there with items I really don’t need but I just couldn’t resist trying out.
My latest victim is the adorable little kumquat — a hidden gem in the citrus family. Unlike traditional citrus that has a bitter white pith that’s not quite pleasant to eat, you can sit down and eat the entire fruit of a kumquat! If you’ve never tried one, they provide the perfect yin and yang of sweet and sour, which makes them perfect for a variety of uses.
I couldn’t resist turning these bright orange beauties in a refreshing cocktail, just perfect for springtime imbibing. While any spirit would work perfectly with it, I took the opportunity of soon-approaching Cinco de Mayo to turn this Kumquat Smash into a sweet and tangy alternative to the traditional margarita we all sit down to sip on with our tacos and guacamole.
Easy enough to mix together, this kumquat smash is great for a crowd or to mix a small batch for yourself. It’s as simple as juicing a few limes, smashing some mint and halved kumquats together with agave to release their juices and shaking it up with tequila.
Curious what type of tequila to use? I’ll leave that up to you since every person has their own opinion on what they like best. I prefer blanco or silver tequila for cocktails with an unaged taste and a great slate for building on.
The drink can easily pack a punch and so if you feel like taking it easy, just add a splash of club soda for all day sipping and relaxing outside on your porch.
Planning a dinner party and need some inspiration?
How about looking for a new slow cooker dinner idea?
We’ve got you covered in our ever-growing Facebook group! If you’re not a member yet, why not?!
We’re chatting cooking techniques, dessert ideas, and everything in between. If you’re already a member, invite your friends to join us too!
Kumquat Smash Recipe
- 20 Mint Leaves, plus extra for garnish
- 2 Limes, juiced
- 10 Kumquats, halved and seeds removed
- 1 1/2 ounces Light Agave Nectar
- Ice Cubes
- 4 ounces Blanco Tequila
- Club Soda, optional
- Add the mint leaves, lime juice, halved kumquats and agave in a cocktail shaker and muddle until the kumquats break down and start to release their juices.
- Fill the shaker with ice, add the tequila, cover and shake for about 30 seconds or until the shaker is nice and cold.
- Pour the cocktail between two collins or old fashioned glasses. If necessary add more ice and if desired top off with club soda.
- Garnish with mint, a slice of lime and half a kumquat.
- Susan Palmer
- Cocktails, Drinks, Tequila, Party Food, Citrus
- Related Recipes:
- Cocktail Recipes, Drink Recipes, Tequila Recipes, Party Food Recipes, Citru Recipes
- Recipe Yields:
- 2 servings
- Prep Time:
- Total Time:
- Related Post:
Author: Susan Palmer
Recipe Yields: 2 servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutes
Amount Per Serving