Instant Pot Dal Dhokli RecipeUrvashee Patel | Dessarts
This easy Instant Pot Dal Dhokli recipe can be ready for you in a snap. Store bought noodles make this sweet and spicy traditional Indian lentil stew easier than ever.
Dal dhokli is a popular one pot Gujarati Indian dish. It’s made by cooking homemade whole wheat noodles in a pot of simmering lentil stew.
It’s no doubt an Indian comfort food favorite with its sweet and spicy taste. It’s also very healthy with a good balance of protein and carbohydrates.
Now, even though dal dhokli is a one pot meal, making delicious homemade noodles is a bit time consuming.
Not to worry! I’ve finally turned this family favorite into even fewer steps by using the Instant Pot and ready-made whole wheat lasagna noodles.
I’ve been eating and making dal dhokli since as long as I can remember. Everyone loves it.
When I ask that question of “what do you want for dinner,” the answer is often Dal Dhokli.
Sometimes I’d go with it but other times it just didn’t seem like the fast answer I was looking for.
It never really felt like a true one pot meal because I still had to dirty a bowl to make the dough and take out my rolling pin, flour and mat.
I’d stand over the simmering pot and put my noodles in one by one as I rolled them out and cut them. It’s a bit more time than I like spending standing over the stove.
This recipe has been a game changer!
The Instant Pot and whole wheat lasagna noodles changed everything. No more extra time needed to roll out dough and no more extra dishes.
Now that whole wheat lasagna noodles are more readily available, it’s easy to substitute the homemade dough with broken lasagna noodles.
The noodles are plain and not spiced like the traditional dough but the recipe for the dal makes up for all the flavor.
They are also slightly thinner than dough that you would roll out but when it comes to convenience who really cares? Well, I guess there are always picky eaters out there, but luckily none in my house!
I know what else you are thinking. These are modern times though, so tell your mother-in-law it’s going to be okay if you cheat a little!
Looking for more easy Gujarati food recipes? Try out my recipe for Semolina Upma or Cabbage Stir Fry.
Are you tired of the dinner routine?
Stuck in a rut or looking for fun new recipes to try?
Our Facebook Group is growing every day! If you haven’t joined yet, we invite you to come check it out and join the fun.
You can ask for recipe ideas, talk about cooking techniques, or get help figuring out the right new pan set for you. If you’ve already joined, invite a friend along!
Instant Pot Dal Dhokli Recipe
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Canola Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Mustard Seed
- 8-10 Curry Leaves, optional
- 1 large Fresh Tomato, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric
- 1 teaspoon Fresh Ginger, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon Indian Chili Powder, optional
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 2 tablespoons Peanuts
- 1/2 cup Toor Dal, split yellow pigeon peas
- 5 cups Water
- 6 sheets Whole Wheat No Bake Lasagna Noodles, broken in 1-2 inch sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons Jaggery, or sugar
- 1 tablespoon Tamarind Paste
- 2 tablespoons Chopped Cilantro
- Turn the Instant Pot on to sauté Mode and add the oil to the pot. Once the oil is hot, add the cumin seeds, mustard seeds and curry leaves. (Have a cover ready so it doesn’t splatter)
- After about 30 seconds add the tomatoes, turmeric, ginger, chili powder, salt and peanuts. Stir and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the dal, water and lasagna pieces.
- Close the pot with the pressure valve set to sealing. Set on Manual mode for 9 minutes.
- Allow the pot to naturally release for 15 minutes and then do a quick release.
- Open the pot and stir in the jaggery and tamarind. This will also help break up any of the dal too.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve hot.
- I used DeLallo brand no bake whole wheat lasagna. I have not tried this with other types.
- Enough lime juice to suit your taste can be substituted for the tamarind paste.
- The stew may appear too liquid when you open the pot but it will thicken as it cools.
- Urvashee Patel
- Cooking Method:
- Instant Pot
- Vegetarian, Instant Pot, One Pot Meals, Easy, Easy Dinners, Indian, Pasta, Lentils, Tomatoes, Ginger, Peanuts, Simmered
- Related Recipes:
- Vegetarian Recipes, Instant Pot Recipes, One Pot Meal Recipes, Easy Recipes, Easy Dinner Recipes, Indian Recipes, Pasta Recipes, Lentil Recipes, Tomato Recipes, Ginger Recipes, Peanut Recipes, Simmered Recipes
- Recipe Yields:
- 4 servings
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Related Post:
Author: Urvashee Patel
Recipe Yields: 4 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Amount Per Serving