Gluten Free Drop Biscuits RecipeSharon L. | What the Fork Food Blog
This is a simple recipe for Gluten Free Drop Biscuits that is easy to make with minimal prep and ingredients. They can be served sweet or savory.
These gluten free drop biscuits are one of the main components of my gluten free strawberry shortcake. They’re almost identical to my regular gluten free biscuit recipe but these contain a little bit more milk, making them ideal for dropping rather than using a biscuit cutter.
The drop biscuit has always been one of my favorite parts of the shortcake. When baked on a greased cookie sheet, the bottoms of the biscuits get nice and crispy.
You could always use parchment paper or a silicone baking mat if you prefer, but you just won’t get that ideal crispy, crunchy, delicious biscuit bottom.
Before going gluten free, my mom would make these with regular all-purpose flour. We have been able to adapt them with to be gluten free using my brown rice flour blend. I find that blend works best with biscuits or any form.
But if you’re looking for a good drop biscuit recipe and you don’t need gluten free and can bake with regular all purpose flour, you can use that here in place of the gluten free flour. Just be sure to omit the xanthan gum.
If you’re in the mood for biscuits for dinner but you don’t want to take the extra step to cut them out, try this gluten free drop biscuit recipe. Dropping the biscuits is definitely a time saver without having to sacrifice taste.
While I almost always serve my drop biscuits with something sweet, you could also make them savory. They might not be ideal for breakfast sandwiches, but they’d be great for brunch with some gluten free sausage gravy!
I’m going to be experimenting with some savory mix-ins too like garlic, herbs, and cheese to serve along some steak or seafood.
If you want to make your drop biscuit prep time even faster, make a batch of my Gluten Free Biscuit Mix ahead of time. The only adjustment you’ll need to make is using 1 cup of milk instead of 3/4 cup of milk called for to make cut out biscuits.
These gluten free drop biscuits are really good and really versatile. They’re exactly the kind of recipe you need in your recipe arsenal. Enjoy!
Are you tired of the dinner routine?
Stuck in a rut or looking for fun new recipes to try?
Our Facebook Group is growing every day! If you haven’t joined yet, we invite you to come check it out and join the fun.
You can ask for recipe ideas, talk about cooking techniques, or get help figuring out the right new pan set for you. If you’ve already joined, invite a friend along!
Gluten Free Drop Biscuits Recipe
- 2 cups All-Purpose Gluten Free Flour
- 1 teaspoon Xanthan Gum
- 1/2 teaspoon Fine Sea Salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 6 tablespoons Unsalted Butter, cubed and cold
- 1 cup Cold Milk
- Preheat oven to 425°F and spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray.
- Sift and mix together the flour, xanthan gum, salt, and baking powder.
- Use a pastry blender or fork to cut the butter into the flour mixture until the butter is smaller than the size of peas.
- Stir in the milk until completely incorporated. The mixture will be a bit wet and sticky.
- Use a spoon or large scoop to drop the biscuits onto the prepared baking sheet into 2 rows of 4. Bake the biscuits at 425°F for 10-14 minutes or until done in the center. Mine were done in 12 minutes. Serve warm or room temperature.
- For best results, use Sharon’s Brown Rice Gluten Free Flour Blend.
- Sharon L.
- Cooking Method:
- Gluten Free
- Gluten Free, Biscuits, Bread, Baking, Baked, Quick Bread, Side Dishes
- Related Recipes:
- Gluten Free Recipes, Biscuit Recipes, Bread Recipes, Baking Recipes, Baked Recipes, Quick Bread Recipes, Side Dish Recipes
- Recipe Yields:
- 8 servings
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Related Post:
Author: Sharon L.
Recipe Yields: 8 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
Total Time: 27 minutes
Amount Per Serving