Detox Kale Salad RecipeJulia Mueller | The Roasted Root
Detox kale salad gives your body the nutrients and antioxidants it needs to detox your system. And what a delicious way to do it!
From time to time, we could all use a little detox. Whether we’re detoxing from a 4-hour Grey’s Anatomy re-run marathon, an epic Facebook stalking session, or our weekend cinnamon roll bender, changing a habit can be a positive way to wipe the slate clean.
Adding a nutrient-rich salad to your diet is a great way of giving your body a break from processed foods. While cinnamon rolls certainly have their role in life (get it? Role?), a detox salad helps your body replenish its vitamin levels. But let’s take a step back. What about this salad make it a “detox” salad? So glad you asked!
Kale, cabbage, bell pepper, parsley, broccoli, and carrots are chock full of phytonutrients and antioxidants, which help cleanse your system and prevent disease. They are also filled with vitamins and minerals, which help refuel, and heal your body.
The avocados and walnuts in this salad provide a balance of healthy fats and protein, making this a wonderful salad to eat as an entrée. Putting all of these vibrant ingredients together results in an immune-boosting power salad, which keeps you energized and satisfied.
Truth: I eat salads like this regularly, even when I’m not looking to detox. While I was writing my cookbook, Let Them Eat Kale!, I grew accustomed to eating kale salad almost every day, and even began craving it! Because salads only require a few minutes to prepare and can cover all of my nutritional needs, they are my go-to for lunch almost every day.
Not only is this salad healthful, but it also tastes great! The key to a winning salad is variety of ingredients, flavor, and texture. The crisp vegetables with the creamy avocado, crunchy walnuts, and zesty dressing hits all the bases, which makes this a praise-worthy meal. Plus, this salad saves well in the refrigerator, making it a wonderful make-ahead meal to have as leftovers during the week.
In need of a detox? Or how about just a really great salad? Here you go!
Now that's a salad! It might even pair great with our detox soup recipe. Perhaps you'd like to try Julie's chia seed pudding for dessert?
Are you tired of the dinner routine?
Stuck in a rut or looking for fun new recipes to try?
Our Facebook Group is growing every day! If you haven’t joined yet, we invite you to come check it out and join the fun.
You can ask for recipe ideas, talk about cooking techniques, or get help figuring out the right new pan set for you. If you’ve already joined, invite a friend along!
Detox Kale Salad Recipe
IngredientsFor the dressing:
- 1/3 cup Grapeseed Oil
- 1/2 cup Lemon Juice, Fresh
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Ginger, Peeled and grated
- 2 teaspoons Whole Grain Mustard
- 2 teaspoons Pure Maple Syrup, Optional
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt, Or to taste
- 2 cups Dinosaur Kale, Tightly packed and thinly sliced
- 2 cups Red Cabbage, Thinly sliced
- 2 cups Broccoli Florets
- 2 large Carrots, Peeled and grated
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, Sliced into matchsticks
- 2 Avocados, Peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup Fresh Parsley, Chopped
- 1 cup Walnuts
- 1 tablespoon Sesame Seeds
- Whisk together all ingredients for the dressing (or put everything in a small blender and blend) and set aside until ready to use.
- Add the kale, cabbage, broccoli, bell pepper, and carrots to a large serving bowl.
- Pour desired amount of dressing over the salad and toss until everything is coated.
- Add the parsley, diced avocado, sesame seeds and walnuts and toss again.
- Serve as an entrée salad or as a side salad to your favorite meal.
- I used dinosaur kale, but you can use any type of kale you like.
- You can also use avocado oil or olive oil in place of grapeseed oil in the dressing.
- Julia Mueller
- Recipe adapted from Homemade Levity’s Detox Salad with Lemon Dressing
- Cooking Method:
- No Cook
- Vegetarian, Vegetables, Salads, Healthy, Healthy Eating, Easy, No Cook, Dressings, Dinners, Lunches, Side Dishes
- Related Recipes:
- Vegetarian Recipes, Vegetable Recipes, Salad Recipes, Healthy Recipes, Healthy Eating Recipes, Easy Recipes, No Cook Recipes, Dressing Recipes, Dinner Recipes, Lunch Recipes, Side Dish Recipes
- Recipe Yields:
- 4 to 6 people
- Prep Time:
- Related Post:
Author: Julia Mueller
Source: Recipe adapted from Homemade Levity’s Detox Salad with Lemon Dressing
Recipe Yields: 4 to 6 people
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Amount Per Serving