Detox Soup RecipeJoli Selten-Forbes | Joli Selten-Forbes
Detox Soup is delicious and simple. It's also a fantastic idea for starting the New Year off right!
Ok, so if you’re going out on New Year’s Eve, do yourself a favor and make this soup one or two days before the festive first, and store in the fridge. Feel free to eat this detoxifying soup for every meal of the day for maximum power!
I’d even venture to say if you’re going about a New Year’s cleanse, you might make a large batch to have on hand for those moments you have to eat something. Just because cheating happens and this soup is a better option than going crazy with processed foods that would defeat the purpose!
This soup is great because it’s super low in calories, and the citrus and apple cider vinegar will help alkalize your body’s PH, bringing it back into balance after what is usually an acid forming holiday season.
From what I’ve read, a soup like this helps to cleanse toxins by flushing with fiber and clean broth, remove heavy metals (especially if you add a dollop of Cilantro or Food Fanatic’s Cilantro Chutney) and all the while nourishing your soul with warm, deliciousness.
You can substitute a gluten-free veggie broth to easily make this recipe vegan, so experiment and add what’s in the fridge so it doesn’t go to waste. It is one of my 2014 goals to enjoy a mostly raw food and juice cleanse during the month of January, so I’ll be making a variation of this soup every Sunday to have it on hand all week long, should I lose my mind with hunger.
I’ve never done a cleanse, and I’m a bit nervous. If you’ve had any experience I’d love your advice!
Happy New Year Everyone!!! I wish for you to experience much love, happiness and delicious things in the coming year!
Are you tired of the dinner routine?
Stuck in a rut or looking for fun new recipes to try?
Our Facebook Group is growing every day! If you haven’t joined yet, we invite you to come check it out and join the fun.
You can ask for recipe ideas, talk about cooking techniques, or get help figuring out the right new pan set for you. If you’ve already joined, invite a friend along!
Detox Soup Recipe
- 10 cups Chicken Broth
- 12 ounces Butternut Squash, cubed
- 1/2 White Onion
- 6 stalks Celery, chopped
- 6 carrots Baby Carrots, organic, chopped
- Sea Salt, Himalayan, to taste
- Ground Cayenne Pepper, to taste
- Lemon Juice, fresh, to taste
- 4-10 cloves Garlic, as many as you can handle
- 1 cup Green Cabbage, organic, chopped
- 1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- Use boxed (avoid canned) organic, gluten-free chicken broth or you can make your own homemade chicken broth by placing 1-4 lb. cooked, whole chicken carcass (with skin, bones and any meat you’d like) into a stockpot with chopped celery, carrots and onions. (Use a gluten-free, store-bought rotisserie or home-baked whole chicken.) Boil down prepared chicken in 8 cups of filtered water (approx. 2 hours).
- Season to taste.
- Once broth is as full of flavor as you’d like, strain all bones and skin pieces out of the pot and discard.
- Remove pot from heat and let cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Chop garlic and add raw garlic to the broth.
- Place all contents of the pot into a food processor or blender (might take a few batches… and BE VERY CAREFUL THAT THE SOUP IS NOT HOT AT THIS TIME.)
- Return liquid to pot and add butternut squash. You can either add chopped cabbage now or add it at the end so it’s raw … return to a boil on medium/high heat.
- Once boiling again, season to taste… fresh thyme, sage and bay leaves are always good in soups!)
- Add apple cider vinegar, lemon juice and any cruciferous, raw veggies you’d like to the bowls before serving.
- I personally add a dollop of Cilantro Chutney on to the top of my soup. And if you also add a dash of soy sauce and a pinch more cayenne pepper and some fresh lemon juice, you’ll make a Hot and Sour soup that is packed with nutrition! Also feel free to add kale, broccoli, or any of your favorite cruciferous veggies to make this soup even better for your body!
- Joli Selten-Forbes
- Gluten Free
- Soups, Healthy Eating, Healthy, Gluten Free, Easy, Freezer Meals
- Related Recipes:
- Soup Recipes, Healthy Eating Recipes, Healthy Recipes, Gluten Free Recipes, Easy Recipes, Freezer Meal Recipes
- Recipe Yields:
- 1.5 quarts
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Related Post:
Author: Joli Selten-Forbes
Recipe Yields: 1.5 quarts
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 150 minutes
Total Time: 180 minutes
Amount Per Serving