Crockpot Quinoa adds a little Mexican flavor in with your quinoa. Effortless and tasty.
You know that saying “a dog is a man’s best friend?”
Well, I think that’s false.
After much ponder-age, I have decided that a slow cooker really is a man’s best friend.
Let’s look at the facts shall we?
1. It makes dinner FOR YOU. You just need to throw some random things into it, press a button and VOILA! Somehow a delicious meal is magically ready when you get home.
When was the last time you came home to a big batch of pulled pork made by your furry friend?
2. It makes your house smell REALLY amazing while it does its thang.
“WOW, your house smells so good! What kind of dog do you have?” Said no one ever.
Now, I’m sure there are many other comparisons to make in the dog vs slow cooker debate but, let’s be real, those are PRETTY compelling
ESPECIALLY when we’re talking about spicy, Slow Cooker Mexican Quinoa that is topped with ooey-gooey cheesy goodness.
The only way to get some Mexi-goodness out of your dog is to put a sombrero on its head.
And, that’s just not the same.
Now, this quinoa. It’s almost embarrassingly easy. As in you just have to make a FEW chops, open some cans, and then the slow cooker does the rest for you.
How awesome is that right? Spending all night slaving in the kitchen < working for 5 minutes and then using your saved time to binge-watch “The Millionaire Matchmaker”
Not that I know anything about that.
Crockpot Quinoa Ingredients
Besides being easy-peasy, this Mexican quinoa is loaded with ALL the healthy goodness: chickpeas, black beans, corn, peppers, AND tomatoes.
It’s a veggie fiesta up in here folks.
And, you’re on the VIP invite list.
To make it you will need the following ingredients:
- Quinoa - Rinsed, uncooked quinoa will fluff up nicely in the slow cooker.
- Frozen corn - Frozen corn is always best, but canned will also work.
- Chickpeas - Canned peas, rinsed and drained well are a great addition to this dish.
- Black beans - Use drained and rinsed canned beans or rehydrated dried beans.
- Red bell pepper - Crisp bell pepper, diced, adds color and so much flavor.
- Roma tomato - The firmness of roma tomatoes is perfect here, but any tomatoes will work.
- Onion - We suggest red or yellow onion for this slow cooker quinoa recipe.
- Cumin - No Mexican fare is complete without the addition of cumin.
- Garlic - Fresh, minced garlic is so so good with this quinoa.
- Salt - Season to taste with salt, remembering all broths have different sodium levels.
- Black pepper - Black pepper rounds out the seasoning of this flavorful dish.
- Adobo sauce - Here we're talking about the adobo sauce that comes in a can of chipotle peppers with adobo.
- Veggie broth - If you're not worried about this dish being vegetarian, you could also use chicken broth.
- Cheddar cheese - Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top of your quinoa when you're ready to eat - so good!
- Cilantro - Finish everything off with a big pinch of chopped fresh cilantro.
So, what are you waiting for? Let’s get crock-in’.
Sorry, had to.
How to Make Crockpot Quinoa
- Spray the inside of your slow cooker crock with non-stick cooking spray to avoid sticking
- Add quinoa, corn, chickpeas, black beans, red bell pepper, tomato, onion, cumin, garlic, salt, black pepper and adobe sauce
- Stir well to combine
- Pour in vegetable broth and stir well again
- Cover and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours
- Check around 3 hours for doneness so the quinoa doesn't burn - the water should be absorbed and the quinoa should be fluffy when done
- Serve with shredded cheddar and chopped cilantro on top
Planning a dinner party and need some inspiration?
How about looking for a new slow cooker dinner idea?
We’ve got you covered in our ever-growing Facebook group! If you’re not a member yet, why not?!
We’re chatting cooking techniques, dessert ideas, and everything in between. If you’re already a member, invite your friends to join us too!