Crispy Cast Iron Chicken Thighs RecipeLisa Grant | Jersey Girl Cooks
Crispy Cast Iron Chicken Thighs are crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. Heat your cast iron skillet and get ready to have dinner on the table fast!
When I want perfectly cooked chicken, I take out my cast iron skillet and let it do all the work. These chicken thighs are seasoned, seared on top of the stove and finished in the oven. There is no easier way to cook chicken!
Why chicken thighs?
Chicken thighs are a staple in our house. My family prefers the dark meat over the white meat so I keep several packages in our freezer at all times. Whenever there is a sale at my grocery store, I am sure to stock up.
Since dark meat has more fat than white meat, the chicken is juicier and has lots of flavor.
While my favorite way is to cook chicken thighs in a cast iron pan, I also like roasting chicken in the oven. Lemon Rosemary Chicken is another favorite of mine that shows up on our dinner table often.
Why Cook in a Cast Iron Pan?
A cast iron pan is a great tool to produce really crispy skin. The chicken gets seared on the stove and the cast iron skillet is a great tool to sear the chicken so that it has a great crust.
The crust keeps moisture inside the chicken thighs creating the perfect juicy chicken.
My Lodge Cast Iron skillet gets plenty of use in other recipes too. It is great for making sloppy joes, chicken stir fry and even a galette for dessert.
What side dishes go well with Crispy Cast iron Chicken Thighs?
These chicken thighs are a fairly simple dish so a variety of side dishes can be served with this dinner. If I’m counting calories, I might serve the chicken with roasted lemon asparagus or a salad.
But if you want a nice hearty meal, mashed potatoes or macaroni and cheese work well.
Whatever side dishes you decide on, this crispy chicken will be the star of the dinner table. I hope you enjoy it as much as my family does!
Are you tired of the dinner routine?
Stuck in a rut or looking for fun new recipes to try?
Our Facebook Group is growing every day! If you haven’t joined yet, we invite you to come check it out and join the fun.
You can ask for recipe ideas, talk about cooking techniques, or get help figuring out the right new pan set for you. If you’ve already joined, invite a friend along!
Crispy Cast Iron Chicken Thighs Recipe
- 1 teaspoon Coarse Sea Salt
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 6 large Bone-In Skin-On Chicken Thighs, (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a small bowl mix together the salt, garlic powder, Italian seasoning and pepper.
- Pat chicken thighs dry with a paper towel then sprinkle seasoning over both sides.
- In a large cast-iron skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat until hot. Place chicken thighs into the pan, skin side down and sear for 8 to 10 minutes or until the skin is nice and crispy. Be careful for oil splatters and cover with a guard if desired.
- Flip the chicken pieces over using tongs. Transfer the cast iron pan to the oven. Roast for about 25 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and the internal temperature reaches 165°F when tested with a meat thermometer.
- Lisa Grant
- Cooking Method:
- Easy Dinners, Chicken Thighs, Chicken, Fried, Easy, Dinners
- Related Recipes:
- Easy Dinner Recipes, Chicken Thigh Recipes, Chicken Recipes, Fried Recipes, Easy Recipes, Dinner Recipes
- Recipe Yields:
- 6 servings
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Related Post:
Author: Lisa Grant
Recipe Yields: 6 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Amount Per Serving