Cinnamon Tortilla Chips RecipeSerene Herrera | House of Yumm
Homemade cinnamon tortilla chips are sweetened with a cinnamon sugar mixture. They’re perfect for dipping into some fruit salsa, chocolate, or some cream cheese glaze!
Best way to make cinnamon tortilla chips:
There’s two methods for making homemade tortilla chips. Frying and baking. Personally, I prefer frying. Whenever I bake chips they come out with a chewy texture. For me baked chips won't crisp up the same as when fried.
So the method I’m sharing today involves frying the tortillas. The chips can be fried in vegetable oil, canola oil, or olive oil. Just a small amount of oil is needed to give about a 1/4-inch coating of oil in a skillet or pan. Fry the tortillas for about 30 seconds to a minute on each side, just until they start to turn golden brown.
Frying the tortillas first and then sprinkling them immediately after removed from the oil with the cinnamon sugar mixture ensures that the cinnamon sugar will stick to the chips. If you wait too long to sprinkle them and the oil has dried up, then the cinnamon sugar will fall right off the chips.
Best tortillas to make homemade chips:
For these cinnamon tortilla chips I prefer to use flour tortillas! For regular tortilla chips I love using corn tortillas. But for these dessert tortilla chips the flour gives a wonderful crispy, flakey texture.
Plus the flour tortillas have a more mild taste than corn tortillas. The corn flavor still comes through the cinnamon sugar coating. Which gives a slightly savory, sweet combination.
What to serve these Cinnamon Tortilla Chips with:
Due to being sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar, these chips definitely have a dessert type taste to them. Which makes them perfectly paired with other sweet toppings. You could use any kind of dessert dip.
My personal favorites are to have them with a fruit salsa. Or a simple mixture of chopped up fruit. Other options include some chocolate sauce, a fruit sauce (like this homemade strawberry sauce) or a cream cheese glaze.
Are you tired of the dinner routine?
Stuck in a rut or looking for fun new recipes to try?
Our Facebook Group is growing every day! If you haven’t joined yet, we invite you to come check it out and join the fun.
You can ask for recipe ideas, talk about cooking techniques, or get help figuring out the right new pan set for you. If you’ve already joined, invite a friend along!
Cinnamon Tortilla Chips Recipe
- 6 Flour Tortillas, or corn tortillas
- 1/4 cup Oil, such as vegetable, canola, or olive oil
- 1/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Ground Cinnamon
- Pour oil into a medium size skillet and heat over medium high heat.
- Prepare the tortillas by cutting into triangles, if using corn tortillas you can cut into 6 triangles, if using 6 inch flour tortillas they’re typically a bit bigger and can get about 8.
- Prepare the cinnamon sugar by combining the sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Stir to mix.
- Add the cut tortillas to the heated oil in batches. Fry each side for about 30 seconds until starting to brown and crispy. Then turn and fry the other side.
- When done, transfer to a plate or baking tray lined with paper towels. Once out of the oil immediately sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, continue frying the remaining tortilla until all tortilla chips are fried.
- Serve warm or room temperature.
- Serene Herrera
- Cooking Method:
- Tex Mex
- Tex Mex, Snacks, Family Meals and Snacks, Desserts, Fried, Tortillas
- Related Recipes:
- Tex Mex Recipes, Snack Recipes, Family Meals and Snack Recipes, Dessert Recipes, Fried Recipes, Tortilla Recipes
- Recipe Yields:
- 6 servings
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Related Post:
Author: Serene Herrera
Recipe Yields: 6 servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Amount Per Serving