Calabacitas con Queso RecipeRebekah Garcia Kalinowski | Kitchen Gidget
Need a flavorful Mexican side dish? Try this delicious calabacitas con queso with zucchini, corn and tomatoes and cheese. Serve as a side or stuff in tortillas for calabacitas tacos!
Packed full of veggies and flavor, calabacitas con queso (squash with cheese) is one of my favorite dishes to make all year long!
During the winter months you can use frozen or canned vegetables, while in the summer you can use fresh.
Plus, there are lots of substitutions so you can tweak it exactly to your family’s taste.
What is calabacitas?
Some of you are probably wondering what this even is. Calabacitas means “little squash” in Spanish.
The calabacitas recipe is a sautéed vegetable side dish with corn, onions, tomatoes and peppers. It’s like a Mexican version of succotash if you’re familiar with that.
It’s popular in the southwest, New Mexico and Tex-Mex cuisine.
It can be served as a side dish, or it also makes a great vegetarian filling for tacos!
How do you make calabacitas?
Step one: prepare and chop the vegetables.
Step two: sauté everything together just until the vegetables begin to soften.
Step three: add cheese and serve.
You don’t have to add cheese, but then it wouldn’t be “con queso.” The type of cheese is up to you.
My favorites are a melting cheese like Monterrey Jack, or a crumbly cheese like queso fresco or cotija.
The main ingredient is the squash. Zucchini is traditional, but you can also use yellow summer squash or a mix of the two.
In my version of calabacitas, I use a can of diced green chilies. If your family likes things spicy, a poblano pepper would be delicious.
If your family doesn’t like any kind of spice, use a green bell pepper instead. I love how easy this recipe is to adapt!
If you’re making this during a time when fresh tomatoes aren’t in season, use a can of diced tomatoes with chiles and kill two birds with one stone!
I like to serve this with a meat main dish like Mexican Pork Stew or my authentic carne asada recipe.
Planning a dinner party and need some inspiration?
How about looking for a new slow cooker dinner idea?
We’ve got you covered in our ever-growing Facebook group! If you’re not a member yet, why not?!
We’re chatting cooking techniques, dessert ideas, and everything in between. If you’re already a member, invite your friends to join us too!
Calabacitas con Queso Recipe
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 medium Onion, diced
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- 1 pound Zucchini Squash, diced
- 1 medium whole Fresh Tomato, diced
- 1 1/2 cups Corn Kernels
- 1 4 ounce can Diced Green Chiles
- 1/2 cup Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese, 2 ounces
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and tomato. Cook until zucchini begins to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in corn and chiles. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with cheese and cover again for a few minutes until cheese is melted.
- Rebekah Garcia Kalinowski
- Cooking Method:
- Cheese, Mexican, Squash, Zucchini, Corn, Tomatoes, Garlic, Tacos, Easy Dinners, Vegetables, Vegetarian, Meatless Monday, Side Dishes, Simmered
- Related Recipes:
- Cheese Recipes, Mexican Recipes, Squash Recipes, Zucchini Recipes, Corn Recipes, Tomato Recipes, Garlic Recipes, Taco Recipes, Easy Dinner Recipes, Vegetable Recipes, Vegetarian Recipes, Meatless Monday Recipes, Side Dish Recipes, Simmered Recipes
- Recipe Yields:
- 6 servings
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Related Post:
Author: Rebekah Garcia Kalinowski
Recipe Yields: 6 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Amount Per Serving