All the rumors are true - Christine Brown's white lasagna recipe is nearly too good to be true!
Featured on a recent episode of Christine Brown's new cooking show, Cooking With Just Christine, this white lasagna recipe has been making waves for its big flavor and simple preparation.
Spoiler alert! Christine's white lasagna recipe does, in fact, live up to the hype. It's incredibly easy to make and my entire family gave it rave reviews.
What Makes Christine Brown's White Lasagna Recipe Special?
Ok, so what makes this recipe so special? In my opinion it's how easy it is to make the incredibly flavorful alfredo sauce! Seriously. This sauce is delicious.
My first time trying my hand at making homemade alfredo sauce I was in high school, attempting to cook a very fancy dinner before prom with my best friend.
The result was a sauce that broke, leaving behind a terrible greasy mess that we all pretended was delicious as we spooned it over wilted noodles.
Did I imagine then that I'd end up with a career a food writer as an adult? Nope, I surely did not. But forge on I did, and eventually I mastered alfredo sauce.
Guess what? I am no longer making alfredo sauce any other than this. Seriously. Christine Brown's white lasagna recipe has changed my life.
(And that, friends, may be one of the oddest sentences I have ever written.)
Made with butter, cream cheese, garlic salt, grated cheeses and seasonings, this alfredo sauce is rich and delicious, and you don't even have to make a roux!
To Make Christine Brown’s White Lasagna Recipe You Need:
When you first read "cream sauce" you might immediately have a knee jerk reaction think this recipe is overly fussy or complicated.
In truth, the ingredients are very accessible and the cooking preparation is quite basic. Don't be mistaken though - basic in this case equals delicious.
- Ground beef - Because Christine doesn't eat pork, her white lasagna recipe uses ground beef instead of sausage.
- Poultry seasoning - To add a sausage-like depth of flavor to the ground beef, it is browned with poultry seasoning.
- Butter - Unsalted butter is the foundation of the simple, creamy alfredo sauce.
- Cream cheese - Added to the butter, cream cheese carries most of the alfredo sauce preparation. Yes, cream cheese!
- Garlic salt - You'll need garlic salt to add garlic flavor and a bit of seasoning to the alfredo sauce.
- Milk - This sauce leans on whole milk for the smooth, creamy consistency. Use the whole milk to keep the richness.
- Bay leaf - I added bay leaf to the alfredo sauce, letting it simmer for a little extra depth to the flavor profile.
- Cheese - This recipe calls for both Asiago and Parmesan cheeses in the alfredo sauce, then the prepared lasagna is coverd in shredded mozzarella before baking.
- Black pepper - I can never make a sauce without the addition of cracked black pepper. Add it to taste to suit your palate.
- Lasagna noodles - Part of the beauty of this recipe? It uses no boil lasagna noodles! (You may also see them called oven ready lasagna noodles.)
- Spinach - Fresh baby spinach was my choice to layer into this lasagna. There is no need to wilt or cook it beforehand.
- Parsley - Before serving I sprinkled a bunch of chopped fresh parsley over top for a little extra color and freshness.
How to Make Christine Brown's White Lasagna Recipe
Step 1. Begin by browning the ground beef with the poultry seasoning. Then you can drain off the excess fat and set it aside.
Step 2. Melt the butter in a large saucepan.
Step 3. While the butter is melting, cut the cream cheese into cubes. Add that and the garlic salt to the melted butter and whisk to combine.
Step 4. Add the milk a quarter at a time, whisking until it's smooth and well incorporated each time.
Step 5. Add the bay leaves, Asiago and Parmesan cheeses. Whisk well until the sauce is thick, creamy and smooth. Season with black pepper and simmer.
Step 6. Once the sauce is completely smooth and the cheeses are fully melted, spoon 1/4 of the sauce into the bottom of a prepared baking dish.
Step 7. Layer in lasagna noodles, half of the ground beef, half of the spinach and another 1/4 of the alfredo sauce.
Step 8. Repeat with another layer of noodles, the remaining ground beef and spinach, and yet another 1/4 of the sauce.
Top with the final lasagna noodles and the remaining alfredo sauce. Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese over top.
Step 9. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden around the edges and bubbly. Let cool, sprinkle with parsley and serve.
- Mushrooms - Christine's original white lasagna recipe includes mushrooms, which I've omitted here. Not everyone in my family loves them so I decided to skip them, but if you added them you'd likely find this creamy white lasagna takes on a beef stroganoff quality. Yum!
- Chicken - If your family prefers chicken over beef, sub in shredded chicken! You can pop by the grocery store for a fresh rotisserie chicken to make it even easier, then just shred up the breast meat and toss it into the lasagna.
- Sausage - Christine's version intentionally avoids using sausage, but if you're a sausage lover, considering using a 50/50 mix of sausage and ground beef.
- Onions - Peronsally, I love thinly sliced caramelized onions, which I think would be a great addition along with the spinach in this lasagna.
- Kale - If you want to add a burst of nutrient dense greens, use kale in addition to spinach. It would be delicious in this white lasgana recipe!
What To Serve with Christine Brown's White Lasagna Recipe
One of the joys of this easy white lasagna recipe is that it can easily stand alone as a meal without much extra fuss.
That said, I always love a good salad or pile of roasted veggies alongside a richer dish such as this one.
Alternately, this shaved Brussels sprout salad would be a fresh addition to your dinner.
Planning a dinner party and need some inspiration?
How about looking for a new slow cooker dinner idea?
We’ve got you covered in our ever-growing Facebook group! If you’re not a member yet, why not?!
We’re chatting cooking techniques, dessert ideas, and everything in between. If you’re already a member, invite your friends to join us too!