Brussels Sprout Salad RecipeJulia Mueller | The Roasted Root
This Brussel Sprout Salad Recipe is fresh and flavorful for spring, while fitting in perfectly to any vegetarian diet.
As the weather warms up, there’s the imminent transition from soup to salad.
We crave light refreshing food that won’t make us sweat bullets. Heavy comforting chilies, creamy bisques and chunky vegetable soups go to the wayside to make room for crisp, refreshing salads.
Have you ever tried a shaved Brussels sprouts salad? It may seem odd to make a salad out of raw Brussels sprouts, but this is a great way of changing up your green salads and adding variety to your diet.
I promise it doesn’t take much time at all. All you do is remove the stems of the Brussels sprouts and then thinly slice them. You then separate any parts that are stuck together and this results in thin shavings which make the salad unique and fun.
The apple and blueberries give the salad sweet tang, while the avocado adds creaminess, the nuts add texture and the homemade dressing provides refreshing zest. Putting all the ingredients together results in a healthful, easy salad with all sorts of flavors and textures!
Unlike most green salads, this salad makes great leftovers! I brought the rest of the salad to work the next day in this Ball mason jar:
For other salad options, consider this Greek Quinoa Salad Recipe!
Are you tired of the dinner routine?
Stuck in a rut or looking for fun new recipes to try?
Our Facebook Group is growing every day! If you haven’t joined yet, we invite you to come check it out and join the fun.
You can ask for recipe ideas, talk about cooking techniques, or get help figuring out the right new pan set for you. If you’ve already joined, invite a friend along!
Brussels Sprout Salad Recipe
- 3 tablespoons Walnut Oil
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Zest
- 3 tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 2 tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Stone Ground Mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 5 cups Brussels Sprouts, shaved
- 1 large Fuji Apple, cored and chopped
- 1/2 cup Red Onion
- 1/2 cup Blueberries
- 1 Avocado, diced
- 3/4 cup Walnuts
- tablespoon Feta Cheese, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Spread walnuts on a cookie sheet and bake until they have some color to them and are fragrant, about 5 to 8 minutes. Allow walnuts to cool enough to chop.
- In a large salad bowl or mixing bowl, whisk together the walnut oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, cider vinegar, mustard and salt until smooth.
- Wash the Brussels sprouts, chop off all of the hard stems and remove the leaves that fall off easily.
- Slice Brussels sprouts from tip-to-tail (not length-wise). Stop slicing once you get to the hard white part – this part you can either discard or chop finely.
- Using your hands, break apart any slices of sprouts that are stuck together (this can usually be achieved by simply tossing the shaved Brussels sprouts)
- Add shaved Brussels sprouts to the bowl with the dressing and toss together until Brussels are completely coated.
- Add the remaining ingredients and toss together.
Serve as a side salad for a delicious and healthy meal!
- Julia Mueller
- Vegetarian, Vegetables, Salads, Healthy, Side Dishes, Brussels Sprouts, Easy
- Related Recipes:
- Vegetarian Recipes, Vegetable Recipes, Salad Recipes, Healthy Recipes, Side Dish Recipes, Brussels Sprout Recipes, Easy Recipes
- Recipe Yields:
- 4 servings
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Related Posts:
Author: Julia Mueller
Recipe Yields: 4 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 8 minutes
Total Time: 23 minutes
Amount Per Serving