BBQ Chicken Quesadilla RecipeRebekah Garcia Kalinowski | Kitchen Gidget
This BBQ Chicken Quesadilla is stuffed with smokehouse flavor. Loaded with barbecue chicken, crisp red onion, and cilantro, plus lots of mozzarella and smoked gouda cheese. The smoked gouda is what takes these over the top!
This BBQ chicken quesadilla is based on my favorite BBQ chicken pizza. Whenever the husband fires up the grill for hamburgers or steak to make jibarito sandwiches, I like to throw extra food on there like a few chicken breasts to eat throughout the week.
I love making quesadillas because they’re a great way to use up leftovers. And depending on what you stuff them with, they’re suitable for appetizers, lunch or dinner.
I like to think outside the box when it comes to food. We’ve used different bases for making pizza like tortillas or French bread pizza, so I knew transforming my favorite nontraditional pizza into a BBQ chicken quesadilla would be delicious.
Like I said, this is a terrific recipe to use up leftover chicken. Just chop and mix with your favorite barbecue sauce. Spicy barbecue would be tasty!
For the cheese I used a mix of mozzarella and smoked gouda. It’s the perfect balance of super melty plus smoky flavor.
If you like, you could use just one or the other if you like. I also think cheddar would be delicious. There are no rules when it comes to quesadillas!
My only self-imposed “rule” is to shred the cheese myself. Cheese from a block is so much better than the pre-shredded bags!
I use the shred plate that came with my food processor so it literally takes less than 30 seconds, but the results are 10 times better.
Instead of traditional sour cream and salsa, I like to serve these barbecue chicken quesadillas with extra BBQ sauce for dipping.
And don’t forget the cilantro, it adds some bright contrast to the richness of the BBQ sauce!
Are you tired of the dinner routine?
Stuck in a rut or looking for fun new recipes to try?
Our Facebook Group is growing every day! If you haven’t joined yet, we invite you to come check it out and join the fun.
You can ask for recipe ideas, talk about cooking techniques, or get help figuring out the right new pan set for you. If you’ve already joined, invite a friend along!
BBQ Chicken Quesadilla Recipe
- 2 cups Chopped Cooked Chicken
- 2 tablespoons Barbecue Sauce, plus extra for dipping
- 1/2 cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/2 cup Shredded Smoked Gouda Cheese
- 2 tablespoons Thinly Sliced Red Onion
- 8 Flour Tortillas
- Fresh Cilantro, for garnish
- Combine the chicken and barbecue sauce. In a separate bowl, combine the mozzarella and gouda cheeses.
- On 4 of the tortillas, evenly distribute the cheese, chicken and onion. Top with remaining tortillas.
- On a griddle over medium-low heat, cook the quesadillas until golden brown and cheese is melted, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Cut into wedges and serve with barbecue sauce for dipping, if desired.
- Rebekah Garcia Kalinowski
- Tex Mex
- Cheese, Easy, Easy Dinners, Easy Lunches, Chicken, Barbecues, Sauces, Onions, Tex Mex
- Related Recipes:
- Cheese Recipes, Easy Recipes, Easy Dinner Recipes, Easy Lunch Recipes, Chicken Recipes, Barbecue Recipes, Sauce Recipes, Onion Recipes, Tex Mex Recipes
- Recipe Yields:
- 4 servings
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Related Post:
Author: Rebekah Garcia Kalinowski
Recipe Yields: 4 servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
Amount Per Serving