This simple Asian Salmon Marinade takes minutes to prepare and transforms your fish into something very special!
A great way to encourage your family to eat more nutrient-rich salmon is to create a delicious marinade to enhance its flavor.
With as little as six ingredients you can create a marinade that will provide a tantalizing aroma as you cook, and a mouthwatering taste the whole family will love.
This simple, but flavorful Asian Salmon Marinade includes:
2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
3 tablespoon dark soy sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon grated ginger
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- Simply add all of the ingredients to a large freezer bag, seal and shake.
- Once combined, add the salmon fillets to the freezer bag, and shake again.
- Lay the bag flat in the fridge, and try to ensure that all the marinade is evenly spread throughout the bag.
- This marinade is enough for four fillets. If you’re serving more, just add the same proportion of ingredients to another freezer bag, then add the fish.
- You’ll want to marinade your fish for no more than about an hour, as it may begin to 'cook', which will affect its texture.
If you like a bit of spice in your life, try adding some crushed red pepper flakes, sliced chillies, or even Sriracha sauce to your marinade! Be sparing if cooking for new guests, as these additions can really heat things up!
How to cook salmon
You have several options when it comes to cooking your salmon in this fusion of flavors. You can grill, bake in foil, or even pan fry!
If it’s a warm summer’s day, you may want to light up the BBQ and get your grill on!
- Simply spray the rack with oil to stop the salmon sticking.
- Remove the fillets from the bag and grill for about five minutes, skin side down.
- Turn using a wide spatula and cook for an additional five minutes.
- Using a saucepan or heatproof dish, heat the marinade on the grill while the fish is cooking.
- Once the fish is done cooking, place the fillets, skin side down, on a serving dish and drizzle the heated glaze over them. Delish!
To bake salmon...
Wrap the fillets in foil and drizzle with the marinade, and bake for up to 20 minutes at 375 degrees F. You can then simply serve from the foil, or transfer to a different dish.
(If you love baked salmon, be sure to try this Roasted Salmon with Everything Bagel Spice Recipe).
If you wish to pan fry...
- Heat some oil in a pan until hot.
- Add the fillets and cook on for around 4 minutes.
- Turn carefully and continue to cook for a few more minutes, until firm to the touch.
- Lift the salmon on to the serving plates and add the marinade to the pan.
- Heat until warmed through and drizzle over the cooked salmon.
If you love the flavor of this marinade, be sure to check out this Asian Salmon recipe from the Barefoot Contessa.