Watermelon Paloma RecipeSusan Palmer | Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
This watermelon paloma is light and refreshing. It's also full of tequila, so there's that.
I hate summer. There, I said it. I'm probably one of the few people that do, but it's hot, it's sticky, the sun burns my pale, pale skin, and did I mention it's hot? I drive people; mainly my husband – crazy on a daily basis with my complaints about the daily humidity. Why yes, it's humid every day, we live on the East Coast, there is no escaping it in the summer months.
The secret truth is though, as much as loathe summer, I secretly love it too. If I could get rid of the heat and the bugs – oh I forgot about the bugs – and replace it just with summer produce, I'd be a really happy girl.
No other time of year are we rewarded with such bounty: tomatoes, corn, peaches, berries, cherries, herbs, greens and watermelon. I have to be controlled at ever farmer's market I attend because I want to buy everything I see, and there's only so much two people can consume!
My love affair with fresh produce started young with trips to local farms, and big slices of watermelon for dessert after dinner. I have fond memories of biting into a slice and not caring one bit about the juice running down my face and arms.
These days I'm a little neater when I eat, and I'd rather not waste that precious watermelon juice! Yes – cold slices are satisfying after a big meal, but what's even better is sipping on a cooling watermelon cocktail on a hot day. I love pureeing fruit and switching out grapefruit juice that's traditional found in a paloma.
A paloma is a fancy name for tequila + fizzy soda + lime, and it is so, so good. If we're getting technical this would just be a watermelon tequila spritzer, but as long as it tastes good you can call it whatever you want!
Are you tired of the dinner routine?
Stuck in a rut or looking for fun new recipes to try?
Our Facebook Group is growing every day! If you haven’t joined yet, we invite you to come check it out and join the fun.
You can ask for recipe ideas, talk about cooking techniques, or get help figuring out the right new pan set for you. If you’ve already joined, invite a friend along!
Watermelon Paloma Recipe
- 1 small Seedless Watermelon
- 4 ounces Watermelon Juice
- 2 ounces Blanco Tequila
- 1/2 Lime, juiced
- Club Soda, or lime flavored seltzer
- Ice Cubes
- Remove the rind from the watermelon, cube into small pieces, saving a few for garnish and puree the remainder.
- Pour the watermelon puree through a fine mesh sieve into a bowl and discard the pulp.
To make the cocktail:
- Pour 4 ounces watermelon juice, tequila and lime juice into a shaker and stir. Pour into a Collins or old fashioned glass filled with ice and top with club soda.
- Garnish with a piece of watermelon and lime wedge.
- Pour remaining watermelon juice into a pitcher and save for later use or to make additional cocktails.
- Susan Palmer
- Cooking Method:
- No Cook
- Cocktails, Drinks, Watermelon, Tequila, Summer, Party Food, Easy, No Cook
- Related Recipes:
- Cocktail Recipes, Drink Recipes, Watermelon Recipes, Tequila Recipes, Summer Recipes, Party Food Recipes, Easy Recipes, No Cook Recipes
- Recipe Yields:
- 1 cocktail, plus more watermelon juice for additional cocktails
- Prep Time:
- Total Time:
- Related Post:
Author: Susan Palmer
Recipe Yields: 1 cocktail, plus more watermelon juice for additional cocktails
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutes
Amount Per Serving