Slow Cooker Pulled Pork RecipeKatie Jasiewicz | Katie's Cucina
Make slow cooker pulled pork for dinner tonight! Keep the house cool and still enjoy succulent, savory barbecue pork sandwiches for dinner.
When I think of summer I immediately think of pulled pork sandwiches. I love having my slow cooker do all the work for me. It not only keeps my house cool (no need to turn on the oven), but it allows me to spend time with friends and family all summer day long.
This recipe that I've come up with utilizes just a few simple ingredients that I always have on hand. I make my pulled pork by using a Boston Butt. No, it's not the butt of the pig. It's actually the upper part of the shoulder from the front leg of the pig.
In the store, if you can't find "Boston butt" you can also buy a "pork shoulder" with no bones.
I cook the Boston butt in a light beer. The alcohol burns off and leaves your pork juicy, tender, and moist. If your not comfortable with cooking with beer you can just add 12 oz of water instead.
I make sure that I skim as much of the fat off the meat before I begin to "pull the pork". I keep it simple and use my favorite store-bought barbecue sauce. I don't use the whole bottle because I've found that some friends and family members like to keep it extra saucy and want more to add on top of the pork once its sandwiches between two hamburger buns.
I love to serve my pulled pork with my grandmother's potato salad. It has no mayonnaise and is vinaigrette based. Perfect for summer entertaining! Plus you can make it a day before the big barbecue.
Why not make a pitcher of my pineapple-tequila cooler that I've dubbed as "vacation in a glass". You can omit the tequila to make it kid-friendly and it tastes just as good.
Or serve up a few mango margaritas! With all the time you saved by using the slow cooker you'll have no excuse to make a tasty side dish and drink to accompany this hearty summer sandwich.
Planning a dinner party and need some inspiration?
How about looking for a new slow cooker dinner idea?
We’ve got you covered in our ever-growing Facebook group! If you’re not a member yet, why not?!
We’re chatting cooking techniques, dessert ideas, and everything in between. If you’re already a member, invite your friends to join us too!
Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Recipe
- 6 pounds Pork Shoulder
- 1 Sweet Onion, quartered
- 6 cloves Garlic, skins removed and smashed
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/8 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 12 oz bottle or can Light Beer
- 18 ounces Barbecue Sauce, typically one bottle
- 12 Hamburger Buns
- In a 6 quart slow cooker place the fat side down of the Boston butt. Add quartered onion and cloves of garlic to the slow cooker. Sprinkle salt and pepper on top of the meet and pour a 12oz bottle of beer over everything. Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 10 hours.
- After the pork is done cooking, carefully remove the Boston butt from the slow cooker and place into a large serving dish. Remove as much of the fat off of the Boston butt as possible. Begin to shred the meat. Add 3/4 of the bottle of barbecue sauce to the shredded pork.
- Serve 1/2 cup portions of shredded pulled pork on to a hamburger bun. Top with more barbecue sauce if desired.
You may substitute water for the beer if you prefer not to cook with alcohol.
- Katie Jasiewicz
- Cooking Method:
- Slow Cooker
- One Pot Meals, Slow Cooker, Easy Dinners, Dinners, Pork, Barbecues
- Related Recipes:
- One Pot Meal Recipes, Slow Cooker Recipes, Easy Dinner Recipes, Dinner Recipes, Pork Recipes, Barbecue Recipes
- Recipe Yields:
- 12 servings
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Related Post:
Author: Katie Jasiewicz
Recipe Yields: 12 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 600 minutes
Total Time: 610 minutes
Amount Per Serving