Slow Cooker Chicken and Potatoes RecipeKatie Jasiewicz | Katie's Cucina
Slow Cooker Chicken and Potatoes is the most delicious meal with the minimal amount of effort. Ten minutes of prep and let the slow...
I've got a new go-to slow cooker dinner that I think you’re going to love! The prep takes a whopping 10 minutes and you only need a few ingredients. I love cooking a whole chicken for my family because it always means I have leftovers whether it's to make chicken enchiladas the next might or chicken chili the sky is the limit! And if your family is like mine, all the vegetables will be gone, leaving you with just enough chicken for the next day!
Let's talk about how I put together this meal. I layer the whole baby carrots on the bottom, and line the edge of my oval shaped slow cooker with baby red potatoes. Then I rinse, remove organs and the neck, and pat dry the chicken.
I carefully place it in the slow cooker. Rinse my hands with hot soapy water, and then sprinkle with the garlic and herb seasoning and black pepper. It's ok to let the seasoning get on the potatoes--that's what I do to give it a little flavoring.
I slice the stems off the Brussels sprouts and place those around the chicken. Place the lid on and set the slow cooker to low! That's it - dinner will be ready in eight hours. No need to add water because the water and moisture in the chicken and vegetables will be pulled out and you'll have a good 2-3 cups of broth!
This chicken is fall-off-the-bone delicious, and surprisingly, the vegetables aren't mush. They are cooked to perfection. But like some slow cooker meals, it can lack flavor. That's why I made pan gravy with some of the stock made from the meal.
I use cornstarch to thicken the stock, and add a little butter because, let's face it, everything is better with butter! I like to use cornstarch because it doesn't give you a pasty taste, and it keeps the meal gluten free.
The pan gravy is exactly what this meal needs to complete it. Oh, and if you need a crispy chicken skin, you can throw the chicken under the broiler to crisp up the skin while you make the gravy. I typically don't do it though because it just means one extra dish to clean and I'm all about the least amount of dishes!
When I serve this dinner I make a side of fresh green beans or asparagus and a salad to go with dinner. If you’re looking for a new slow cooker meal, I suggest you try this slow cooker chicken and potatoes, with carrots, Brussels sprouts and pan gravy.
Planning a dinner party and need some inspiration?
How about looking for a new slow cooker dinner idea?
We’ve got you covered in our ever-growing Facebook group! If you’re not a member yet, why not?!
We’re chatting cooking techniques, dessert ideas, and everything in between. If you’re already a member, invite your friends to join us too!
Slow Cooker Chicken and Potatoes Recipe
- Cooking Spray
- 12 Whole Baby Carrots
- 1 pound Brussels Sprouts, Ends trimmed
- 3 pounds Small Red Potatoes, Cleaned and pat dry
- 5 pound Whole Chicken, Neck and organs removed
- 2 tablespoons McCormick Garlic and Herb Seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 1 cup Chicken Stock
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch
- Spray a 6.5-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Lay carrots on the bottom of the slow cooker followed by potatoes.
- Remove the neck and organs from the whole chicken. Rinse and pat dry.
- Place the chicken in the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle with McCormick garlic and herb seasoning and black pepper. Rub all over the chicken. Add in the Brussels sprouts into the slow cooker.
- Place the lid on and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Once the internal temperature reaches 175°F, carefully removed the cooked chicken.
- Grab 1 cup of the stock from the slow cooker and mix with 1-tablespoon cornstarch.
- Heat a saucepan on high and add the butter. Melt, then whisk in the stock slurry. Whisk until thick.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and remove off heat once thick.
Cut the chicken into 6 pieces, serve with vegetables and top with pan gravy.
- For crispy chicken skin, carefully remove the cooked whole chicken from the slow cooker, place in a baking dish and place under the broiler in the oven for 5 minutes until skin is crispy.
- There is no need to add water. The chicken and vegetables will draw out water, which will make some liquid. You can make pan gravy or save to use for another day.
- Katie Jasiewicz
- Cooking Method:
- Slow Cooker
- Gluten Free
- One Pot Meals, Slow Cooker, Slow Cooked, Chicken, Potatoes, Carrots, Brussels Sprouts, Easy, Easy Dinners, Dinners, Family Meals and Snacks, Gluten Free
- Related Recipes:
- One Pot Meal Recipes, Slow Cooker Recipes, Slow Cooked Recipes, Chicken Recipes, Potato Recipes, Carrot Recipes, Brussels Sprout Recipes, Easy Recipes, Easy Dinner Recipes, Dinner Recipes, Family Meals and Snack Recipes, Gluten Free Recipes
- Recipe Yields:
- 4 servings
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Related Post:
Author: Katie Jasiewicz
Recipe Yields: 4 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 490 minutes
Total Time: 500 minutes
Amount Per Serving