Sausage Bean Soup RecipeLisa Grant | Jersey Girl Cooks
Savory Sausage Bean Soup will warm you up this frigid winter. The whole family will be clamoring for more!
The minute the weather gets chilly I crave making big pots of soup. In all honesty, I could probably eat soup five times a week in the fall and winter. With my family’s busy schedule I tend to make a big pot of soup once a week and there are plenty of leftovers for our nights on the run. We’re usually running from one place to another quite often so it’s comforting to know I can have dinner pulled from the fridge and heated up in minutes.
When I cook soup, I often make two batches. One goes in the freezer and the other stays in the refrigerator. This hearty soup contains meat, beans and veggies so it is a hearty meal. It can be served with a loaf of bread or English muffins on the side and everyone is happy. If I feel ambitious enough, I might even make grilled cheese to go with it. But I really don’t think it is necessary.
While this meal is simple to make, it does take some time. But it’s the type of cooking you do when you are working from home, doing laundry or cleaning the house. Once it is in the pot it doesn’t require too much love. Just stir every 20 minutes or so and it cooks itself. Just make sure to keep it on low as you don’t want the bottom of your pot to burn.
I used smoked turkey kielbasa in this recipe but you could use any type of smoked sausage. You can even leave the meat out to make it a vegetarian meal. Just remember to replace the chicken broth with vegetable broth.
I have soup on my agenda quite often. I know I will be making Potato Leek Soup, Tomato Soup with Rice and Spinach and Slow Cooker chicken tortilla Soup in my near future.
What’s your favorite kind of soup?
Planning a dinner party and need some inspiration?
How about looking for a new slow cooker dinner idea?
We’ve got you covered in our ever-growing Facebook group! If you’re not a member yet, why not?!
We’re chatting cooking techniques, dessert ideas, and everything in between. If you’re already a member, invite your friends to join us too!
Sausage Bean Soup Recipe
- 16 ounces Mixed Dried Beans
- 1 tablespoon Canola Oil
- 1 cup Onion, chopped
- 1 cup Celery
- 1 cup Carrot, chopped
- 12 ounces Smoked Sausage
- 1 tablespoon Dried Thyme
- 8-10 cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 2 tablespoons Tomato Paste
- extra Boiling Water, if necessary
- Salt, to taste
- Black Pepper, to taste
- Soak dried beans in a pot of water overnight. Rinse and drain in a colander before using.
- In a large soup pot, heat oil on medium heat and saute onions, celery, and carrots for 10 minutes or until soft.
- Add smoked sausage and cook for another few minutes. Add thyme, broth, tomato paste and beans. Cover and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 2 1/2 to 3 hours making sure to stir occasionally.
- Add extra water if necessary if soup becomes too thick. Add salt and cayenne pepper to taste.
- Lisa Grant
- Soups, Easy Dinners, Easy, Beans, Sausage, Winter, Lunches, Freezer Meals
- Related Recipes:
- Soup Recipes, Easy Dinner Recipes, Easy Recipes, Bean Recipes, Sausage Recipes, Winter Recipes, Lunch Recipes, Freezer Meal Recipes
- Recipe Yields:
- 8 servings
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Related Post:
Author: Lisa Grant
Recipe Yields: 8 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 180 minutes
Total Time: 195 minutes
Amount Per Serving