Roast Vegetable Soup RecipeLauren Keating | Healthy Delicious
Roast vegetable soup comes together quickly with whatever you have in the fridge. Just don't skip the roasting!
Over the past few months I've fallen into some really bad eating habits. Lots of take out, lots of carbs, LOTS of chocolate, and not nearly enough vegetables.
So, earlier this fall, I did a round of Whole 30 to get my eating back on track. It only took a few days of hearty kale salads and pan-roast pork chops with grapes before I felt like my old self again.
This roasted vegetable soup was my secret weapon to getting though the more difficult days. It was great for lunch, as an extra serving of vegetables with my dinner, or even as a filling snack.
This soup was inspired by minestrone, but since pasta and beans aren't allowed on Whole 30 I swapped them out in favor of potatoes. It was a delicious alternative, although a can of white beans would still feel right at home in this soup pot.
One of the things that I love most about roast vegetable soup like this one, is that you can basically use whatever vegetables you have lurking in the depths of your refrigerator.
No fennel? Swap in cabbage. Don't like carrots? Leave them out. Leftover greens from that kale salad I mentioned earlier? Go ahead and throw it into the pot. Really, pretty much anything goes.
For this soup, I also tossed the potatoes, fennel, carrots, and zucchini in a little bit of olive oil, then roasted them in a hot oven just until they started to caramelize around the edges. This helps concentrate their flavor and give each bowl an extra layer of complexity. I also added a can of fire roasted tomatoes to the pot to add even more smoky, roasted flavor to the recipe.
Are you tired of the dinner routine?
Stuck in a rut or looking for fun new recipes to try?
Our Facebook Group is growing every day! If you haven’t joined yet, we invite you to come check it out and join the fun.
You can ask for recipe ideas, talk about cooking techniques, or get help figuring out the right new pan set for you. If you’ve already joined, invite a friend along!
Roast Vegetable Soup Recipe
- 2 Potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 Fennel Bulb, chopped
- 4 Carrots, peeled and cut into coins
- 1 Zucchini Squash, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil, divided
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 Onion, diced
- 4 stalks Celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Dried Thyme
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Dried Basil
- 28 ounce can Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes
- 6 cups Vegetable Broth, or chicken broth
- Heat your oven to 500°F.
- Toss the potatoes, fennel, carrots, and zucchini in 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Spread the vegetables in a single layer on a baking sheet. Roast 15-20 minutes, turning once, until the vegetables begin to caramelize.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large soup pot set over medium heat.
- Add the garlic, onion, and celery. Cook 6-8 minutes, or until softened.
- Stir in the spices. Add the roast vegetables, tomatoes, and broth.
- Simmer 10 minutes, or until all the vegetables are cooked through.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Lauren Keating
- Cooking Method:
- Soups, Whole30, Simmered, Vegetables, Roasted, Carrots, Zucchini, Potatoes, Fennel
- Related Recipes:
- Soup Recipes, Whole30 Recipes, Simmered Recipes, Vegetable Recipes, Roasted Recipes, Carrot Recipes, Zucchini Recipes, Potato Recipes, Fennel Recipes
- Recipe Yields:
- 10 servings
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Related Post:
Author: Lauren Keating
Recipe Yields: 10 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Amount Per Serving