This Pickled Red Cabbage Slaw recipe creates a tasty side dish that perfectly complements the richness of dishes like braised meat
We love red cabbage - it has such a beautiful, vibrant color and crisp, crunchy texture!
Mixed with a nice, tart red wine vinegar it makes a delicious side, and this red cabbage slaw recipe is just what you need if you're looking for a refreshing dish to serve with a rich main meal like braised meat or ribs.
How to shred red cabbage quickly
If you're thinking that the quickest way to shred red cabbage is with a food processor or grater, you'd be right! But the problem is that these tools tend to shred the cabbage a bit TOO finely. The result just doesn't seem to have the crisp texture that you really need for a recipe like cabbage slaw.
So here's the best way to do it.
- Clean your cabbage by rinsing it and removing the loose leaves from the outside.
- Cut off the bottom of the stem so the bottom of the cabbage is flat, and place the cut end flat against your cutting board.
- Using a very sharp knife, halve the cabbage from the top to the bottom.
- Next, halve each half so that you now have four quarters of cabbage.
- Cut diagonally to remove the core and stem.
- Turn each wedge so that the flat part is against the board then cut it very thinly into strips. When it gets difficult to carry on slicing, turn the remaining piece of cabbage until it is flat on the board and continue until the whole piece is sliced.
- If you want to, you can then make the slices shorter by cutting the strips in half horizontally.
Once your red cabbage slaw is prepared, it will keep in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 3 to 5 days. A good tip to keep it fresher for longer is to store the cabbage separately to the dressing if possible.