One Pot Cajun Chicken Pasta RecipeKatie Jasiewicz | Katie's Cucina
One Pot Cajun chicken pasta is a delicious dinner recipe that uses chicken, andouille sausage, onions, and tomatoes. Pasta is cooked in the skillet to absorb all the flavors, and it’s finished with Neufchâtel Cheese.
I’m so excited to share another one pot pasta meal with you today. I took a break for a while, not only making but creating new one pot pasta dinners, but I’m back at reinventing and simplifying dinner time once again.
My kids love a good creamy pasta (I mean what person doesn’t like a creamy pasta?)! My husband and I love Cajun pasta, so I took the chance and made this One Pot Cajun Chicken Pasta for dinner last month.
I used my own Cajun seasoning, since I can control the spiciness level. By keeping it simple my kids devoured this dinner.
In fact, my 5-year-old even asked to try the "spicy" sausage i.e., Andouille sausage and he loved it. He even asked for a second plate of dinner!
I kept the ingredients simple with just chicken, andouille sausage, butter, a neutral oil such as grapeseed oil, onions, tomatoes, penne pasta (any tube-shaped pasta would work), and chicken stock.
Of course, Cajun seasoning is a must for this recipe. To create the creamy texture, I like to use Neufchâtel Cheese which is 1/3 less fat than traditional cream cheese! I finished off the pasta with fresh flat leaf Italian parsley from my garden.
Whenever I make a one pot pasta, I use just about the same kitchen supplies every time. If you like to make one pot pasta you might consider in investing in the following products.
- Large skillet with lid! (I love this OXO skillet)
- Angled Measuring Cups
- Dry Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Cutting board
- Santoku Knife
- Silicone spatula
Since my recipe for One Pot Cajun Chicken Pasta makes a lot — 8 servings to be exact! I froze the leftovers so we could enjoy an easy meal on another evening.
To freeze the cooked creamy pasta, you’ll want the food to cool to room temperature. Then, spray a metal disposable cooking container with cooking spray.
Add the pasta to the container, seal tight, and freeze!
When you want to eat the dinner, simply thaw in the refrigerator the day before. Add it into a skillet with a half cup of cream (if it’s a cream-based pasta) or quarter to a half cup of water for a tomato-based pasta.
You can also use a quarter cup water and a quarter cup cream if you don't want additional calories to the creamy pasta. Heat until warm and serve.
If you’re looking for a flavorful pasta dinner that is cooked in around 30 minutes’ time, (and can feed an army) I hope you’ll give my easy recipe for one pot Cajun chicken pasta a try!
Are you tired of the dinner routine?
Stuck in a rut or looking for fun new recipes to try?
Our Facebook Group is growing every day! If you haven’t joined yet, we invite you to come check it out and join the fun.
You can ask for recipe ideas, talk about cooking techniques, or get help figuring out the right new pan set for you. If you’ve already joined, invite a friend along!
One Pot Cajun Chicken Pasta Recipe
- 3 teaspoons Cajun Seasoning, divided
- 3 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts, or the equivalent of 1 1/3 pounds
- 1 tablespoon Grapeseed Oil
- 4 Andouille Sausages, cut into 1/2" pieces
- 1 tablespoon Salted Butter
- 1 medium Onion, diced
- 1 14.5 ounce can Diced Tomatoes, (organic)
- 1 pound Penne
- 32 ounces Chicken Stock, unsalted
- 8 ounces Neufchatel Low Fat Cream Cheese, (1/3 less fat than cream cheese)
- 1/4 cup Italian Parsley, minced
- Preheat a large skillet on medium heat. Sprinkle 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning on top of the chicken breast, turn over and sprinkle the remaining seasoning on the chicken breast.
- Add 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil in the skillet followed by the chicken breast. Cook for five minutes.
- While the chicken cooks, slice the andouille sausage into 1/2-inch thick pieces.
- Remove the lid, turn the chicken breast, add in the andouille sausage and cook for an additional five minutes with the lid on. Remove the chicken and andouille sausage from the sauté pan.
- Add in the onion and salted butter. Cook for 2 minutes until the onion starts to become golden in color.
- Next, Add in the canned tomatoes and the penne pasta. Mix well. Then pour the container of chicken stock into the pan.
- Next, place the burner on high heat and bring to a boil with the lid on. Set a timer for 12 minutes. Once the pasta has come to a boil, lower to medium heat. Stir at the half-way point.
- While the pasta cooks, slice the chicken breast, and set to the side.
- Once the pasta is done cooking and most of the liquid has absorbed, turn the heat off.
- Add in the Neufchâtel cheese and sprinkle in the remaining 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning. Mix until creamy and combined.
- Then add in the chicken and andouille sausage as well as the freshly chopped parsley. Divide evenly among plates and enjoy.
- Katie Jasiewicz
- Cooking Method:
- One Pot Meals, Easy Dinners, Cajun, Spicy, Pasta, Chicken, Sausage, Sauces, Cream Cheese, Cheese, Simmered
- Related Recipes:
- One Pot Meal Recipes, Easy Dinner Recipes, Cajun Recipes, Spicy Recipes, Pasta Recipes, Chicken Recipes, Sausage Recipes, Sauce Recipes, Cream Cheese Recipes, Cheese Recipes, Simmered Recipes
- Recipe Yields:
- 8 servings
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Related Post:
Author: Katie Jasiewicz
Recipe Yields: 8 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Amount Per Serving