Homemade Chocolate Pudding RecipeStacey Mebs | Bake.Eat.Repeat.
Quick and easy homemade chocolate pudding is silky smooth and perfect for dessert or a snack. Because homemade is always better!
Homemade chocolate pudding. This may just be one of the best treats I've ever made.
But then, I've always loved chocolate pudding. It was one of those things I was always excited to find in my lunch when I was a kid. And yet, I think I've only bought it for my kids twice.
Not sure how I've gone without buying them pudding cups for their lunch — it seems a little wrong really. It was always the best treat. My poor deprived children.
But I made them some! Of course, we ate it all at home in no time at all so they didn't actually get some in their lunch, but I'm thinking that next time I make this homemade chocolate pudding I will portion it in little jars instead of ramekins and then it will be packable for lunch.
The only problem then will be hiding it from myself in the back of the fridge so that I don't eat it all before the children get any.
Still a favourite of mine, evidently.
I've tried so many recipes for homemade chocolate pudding, and am always disappointed. It never turned out the same as the little pudding cups you can buy. I started wondering if, in the case of chocolate pudding, maybe homemade isn't better. But I refuse to believe that because it can't be true.
Homemade is always better. That's just a fact.
I had a really hard time finding a recipe for amazing homemade chocolate pudding though.
This is that recipe. It's easy, it's fast, it doesn't use up your life savings in fancy chocolate to make it (just cocoa powder — yay!), and the taste and texture is perfect.
Plus it thickens up beautifully and easily without stirring it on the stove for an eternity - and I have the worst luck at thickening things so if it's easy for me, anyone can do it!
This homemade chocolate pudding is perfect. Because homemade is always better.
Planning a dinner party and need some inspiration?
How about looking for a new slow cooker dinner idea?
We’ve got you covered in our ever-growing Facebook group! If you’re not a member yet, why not?!
We’re chatting cooking techniques, dessert ideas, and everything in between. If you’re already a member, invite your friends to join us too!
Homemade Chocolate Pudding Recipe
- 2 Large Egg Yolks
- 4 tablespoons Cornstarch
- 3 cups Milk, 2% or whole
- 3/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- 6 tablespoons Unsweetened Cocoa Powder, Dutch processed
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 2 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks together with the cornstarch and 1/2 cup of the milk until they are completely combined, with no lumps remaining. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, over medium high heat, combine the remaining 2 1/2 cups of milk, sugar, cocoa powder and salt. Heat until it is just about to a boil, whisking constantly. You will see steam rising off the liquid, and tiny bubbles forming around the edges.
- Remove the liquid from the heat, and slowly pour it into the bowl with the egg yolk and cornstarch mixture, whisking constantly. Pour the entire mixture back into the saucepan and bring it to a full boil over medium high heat, whisking constantly. Reduce the heat to a simmer and continue cooking for another 1-2 minutes, until the mixture thickens. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Pour the pudding into individual ramekins, or a large bowl, and cover with plastic wrap pressed directly onto the top of the pudding to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
- Stacey Mebs
- Adapted from The Pioneer Woman
- Lunches, Pudding, Family Meals and Snacks, Chocolate, Homemade, Desserts, Snacks
- Related Recipes:
- Lunch Recipes, Pudding Recipes, Family Meals and Snack Recipes, Chocolate Recipes, Homemade Recipes, Dessert Recipes, Snack Recipes
- Recipe Yields:
- 8 servings
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Related Post:
Author: Stacey Mebs
Source: Adapted from The Pioneer Woman
Recipe Yields: 8 servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Amount Per Serving