Healthy Sweet Potato Crunch Bread RecipeHeather Tullos | Sugar Dish Me
Healthy Sweet Potato Crunch Bread is great for a lighter breakfast on the go. Simple and satisfying.
This healthy sweet potato crunch bread is like everything you love about sweet potato casserole in every bite! Lightly sweetened with brown sugar and made entirely without butter, this is one quick bread recipe that won’t give you guilt!
Last year I made this healthy peach banana bread recipe with a healthy pumpkin banana bread version on my site. And since I hit publish, that post has, without fail, remained in my Top 10.
Clearly you guys love love love quick breads that don’t make your jeans fit too tight. And in all seriousness? So do I. Give the people what they want, right?
So I took that recipe - the one that I actually based on the very first thing I ever learned how to make by myself at age 9 - and tweaked it yet again to yield this healthy sweet potato crunch bread.
Applesauce is my favorite easy healthy swap in baking. Between applesauce and Greek yogurt, you can lighten up a WHOLE LOT of recipes!
There’s no Greek yogurt here, but if I could point you towards my Greek yogurt cheddar biscuits for a second… you’ll totally thank me. Anyway, applesauce -- unsweetened applesauce -- works just like butter in this quick bread batter.
Pairing the applesauce with mashed sweet potatoes makes this bread ULTRA moist. The brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg lend all the flavor of a sweet potato casserole.
So amazingly delicious!
The pecan crunch topping was a last minute decision. I thought about adding the pecans to the batter, which you can totally do, but the crunchy sweetness on TOP of the bread made me happy. It reminds me of coffee cake.
If you are interested in a more traditional sweet potato bread, there’s also this sweet potato quick bread recipe. It also calls for applesauce! But yields a larger single loaf.
Healthy sweet potato crunch bread is perfect for a lighter breakfast on the go. It’s an awesome little snack. And it tallies in at under 100 calories per serving!!! You really can’t go wrong with that!
Are you tired of the dinner routine?
Stuck in a rut or looking for fun new recipes to try?
Our Facebook Group is growing every day! If you haven’t joined yet, we invite you to come check it out and join the fun.
You can ask for recipe ideas, talk about cooking techniques, or get help figuring out the right new pan set for you. If you’ve already joined, invite a friend along!
Healthy Sweet Potato Crunch Bread Recipe
IngredientsFor the Bread Batter:
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened Applesauce
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar, Packed
- 2 Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 cup Cooked Mashed Sweet Potato
- 1/2 cup Quick Oats
- 1/2 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1/2 cup Chopped Pecans
- 3 tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 3 tablespoons Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray two 8 X 4” loaf pans with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl whisk together the applesauce and brown sugar until smooth. Then add the eggs one at a time, mixing well between each addition.
- Add the sweet potatoes and oats, and mix until combined.
- All at once add the whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg.
- Stir until everything is just combined, making sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Divide the batter between the two prepared pans.
- In another bowl toss together the pecans, brown sugar, and flour. work in the butter until coarse crumbles form. Sprinkle the mixture evenly over the batter in each pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until a pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Heather Tullos
- Cooking Method:
- Breakfasts, Brunches, Bread, Healthy Eating, Sweet Potatoes, Baking, Baked, Snacks, Family Meals and Snacks
- Related Recipes:
- Breakfast Recipes, Brunch Recipes, Bread Recipes, Healthy Eating Recipes, Sweet Potato Recipes, Baking Recipes, Baked Recipes, Snack Recipes, Family Meals and Snack Recipes
- Recipe Yields:
- 24 servings
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Related Post:
Author: Heather Tullos
Recipe Yields: 24 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Amount Per Serving