Garbanzo Bean Vegetable Soup with Pearled Couscous RecipeKatie Jasiewicz | Katie's Cucina
Warm up your home and soul with a quick cooking pot of Garbanzo bean vegetable soup with pearled couscous! You’ll love how healthy and easy to prepare it is.
I think by now, everyone knows that I love to make soup. I make a pot a week in my home. It makes for a quick and easy dinner or a no-fuss lunch. If you can keep a few basics in your home and pantry you can whip up this pot of soup (and really any type) of soup in under an hours’ time.
On day I don’t have meat available, I utilize the basic veggies on hand and a few pantry staples like broth, tomato sauce, and noodles. That’s how this delicious vegetarian soup came about. I was able to create a rich tomato base by using a single can of tomato sauce I had on hand. Think of tomato soup but not as thick, and chock full of veggies and pearled couscous.
That’s the other thing — I didn’t have my typical tiny pasta on hand so I opted to use pearled couscous, which gave a nice change to my every day soup. My toddler even loved the pearled couscous in the soup. You can find pearled couscous either in your pasta aisle or ethnic food aisle. It varies depending on grocery store.
I used a blend of baby chard, kale, and spinach for my greens to freshen up the soup. If you can’t find a blend like that you can use baby kale or baby spinach. Both will give you similar results.
Let’s face it — no tomato-style soup is complete without a little cheese on top. Cheese always makes everything better. However, if you want to keep this soup vegan just omit the cheese.
I ended up enjoying a few bowls of this soup for lunch throughout the week. It makes for the ultimate “healthier” comfort food lunch in a bowl.
Planning a dinner party and need some inspiration?
How about looking for a new slow cooker dinner idea?
We’ve got you covered in our ever-growing Facebook group! If you’re not a member yet, why not?!
We’re chatting cooking techniques, dessert ideas, and everything in between. If you’re already a member, invite your friends to join us too!
Garbanzo Bean Vegetable Soup with Pearled Couscous Recipe
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 stalks Celery, diced
- 1 Onion, diced
- 2 Carrots, diced
- 1 tablespoon Minced Garlic
- 1 8 ounce can Tomato Sauce
- 64 ounces Vegetable Broth
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 cup Pearled Couscous
- 1 Plum Tomato, diced
- 5 ounces Earthbound Farms Organic Power Greens
- 1 15-ounce can Garbanzo Beans, drained and rinsed
- Parmesan Cheese, for topping, optional
- In a large stockpot, pour the olive oil into the pot. Sweat the onions, celery, carrots and garlic for 10 minutes on medium heat with lid on. Stir occasionally and add in a half-cup of the vegetable stock to help the sweating/cooking process.
- Add the tomato sauce, the remaining vegetable broth, Italian seasoning, and pearled couscous. Bring to a boil then reduce to medium-low. Cook for 15 minutes. Then add in the diced plum tomato, greens, and drained and rinsed garbanzo beans. Cook for an additional 5 minutes. One greens have wilted and the soup has simmered ladle soup in to bowls and top with parmesan cheese if desired.
- Katie Jasiewicz
- Easy Dinners, Soups, Vegetables, Beans, Grains, Family Meals and Snacks, Vegetarian
- Related Recipes:
- Easy Dinner Recipes, Soup Recipes, Vegetable Recipes, Bean Recipes, Grain Recipes, Family Meals and Snack Recipes, Vegetarian Recipes
- Recipe Yields:
- 4 servings
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Related Post:
Author: Katie Jasiewicz
Recipe Yields: 4 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Amount Per Serving