Freekeh Salad with Chicken RecipeChristina Lane | Dessert for Two
Freekeh salad with chicken is packed full of goodness. Whole grain, hearty, and tasty too.
It’s not often that we get to call our dinner ‘freaky.’ Have you ever heard of ‘freekeh’ grains? Freekeh grains are wheat berries harvested early. These young, green wheat berries go through a roasting process after harvest. The result is a delicious whole grain that takes no time to cook!
Let's talk about that roasting process, because it's pretty darn cool. The harvested berries end up in a pile that also includes straw and chaff from the harvested wheat stalk. It's set out in the sun to dry for a while - several days or a week.
And then the cool stuff happens. They set the whole thing carefully on fire. Because the berries have such a high water content, they don't burn - only the other bits they were harvested with do. Instead, they roast. Leaving us with deliciously nutty roasted young wheat berries, and nothing else.
If you like wheat berry salads, you’ll love this freekeh salad. Although, freekeh grains are a bit smaller than typical wheat berries, I think they’re easier to eat because they are not as chewy as wheat berries. It’s a cross between cous cous and wheat berries. And it’s delicious!
To cook freekeh, rinse the grains. Add one-half cup to 1 1/2 cups of water, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes—much as you would do for rice. After 20 minutes, remove the freekeh from the heat, fluff with a fork, and serve.
I used the same dressing from my creamy Greek pasta salad recipe, added a handful of chopped cherry tomatoes, finely chopped dinosaur kale leaves, and tossed the whole thing together. It’s a great side dish, or it makes a nice lunch. I prefer this freekeh salad at room temperature or even slightly chilled.
The protein choice in the salad is up to you: grilled, sliced chicken tenders, baked tofu, or sliced pork loin. It would even be excellent with my baked rosemary chicken on top.
Are you tired of the dinner routine?
Stuck in a rut or looking for fun new recipes to try?
Our Facebook Group is growing every day! If you haven’t joined yet, we invite you to come check it out and join the fun.
You can ask for recipe ideas, talk about cooking techniques, or get help figuring out the right new pan set for you. If you’ve already joined, invite a friend along!
Freekeh Salad with Chicken Recipe
- 1 cup Freekeh Grains
- 2 1/2 cups Water
- pinch of Salt
- 1 tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Oregano, dried
- 1/4 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/3 cup Plain Greek Yogurt
- 1 cup Cherry Tomatoes, sliced
- 2 handfuls Kale, shredded
- 2 Chicken Breasts, cooked - or protein of choice
- In a 2-quart saucepan, combine the freekeh, water and salt. Bring to a boil, lower to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes, or until the grains are al dente. Drain any excess water.
- Meanwhile, combine the vinegar, oil, salt, oregano, onion powder, pepper and Greek yogurt. Stir very well.
- In a large bowl, combine the freekeh, dressing, sliced tomatoes and shredded kale. Toss very well to combine. Top with sliced protein of choice.
- Christina Lane
- Cooking Method:
- Cooking for Couples, Salads, Healthy Eating, Healthy, Easy Dinners, Dinners, Whole Grain, Chicken, Freekeh, Dressings, Simmered
- Related Recipes:
- Cooking for Couples Recipes, Salad Recipes, Healthy Eating Recipes, Healthy Recipes, Easy Dinner Recipes, Dinner Recipes, Whole Grain Recipes, Chicken Recipes, Freekeh Recipes, Dressing Recipes, Simmered Recipes
- Recipe Yields:
- 2 servings
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Related Post:
Author: Christina Lane
Recipe Yields: 2 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Amount Per Serving