Crack Dip is the perfect dip for parties or game day! It is loaded with creamy ranch, cheddar cheese and bacon for a flavor combination you can't resist. Serve it up as a party appetizer or for a fun weekend snack.
Crack dip. What the what? I had never heard of it before but kept seeing it all over Pinterest. It has been pinned so many times - and it turns out with good reason!
I was intrigued right away when I first came saw a recipe for this so-called crack dip. I mean, really, a dip that's simply called "crack dip" has to be good.
And by good, I mean insanely can't-live-without-it good, right? Right.
What is Crack Dip?
With a name like crack dip you'd probably guess that this dip is totally addicting. And it absolutely lives up to the hype!
Crack dip is an easy dip recipe combining sour cream, ranch dip mix, bacon, and scallions. It's super creamy and perfectly salty, in just the right way.
It’s creamy dip goodness. With bacon. Everything is always so much better with bacon!
I adapted this recipe from Plain Chicken. The first time I made it I used the bacon bits as called for, but it was way too salty.
I'm a salt lover and the saltiness overwhelmed my palate so I played around with the recipe and ended up using real bacon. The real bacon makes this dip and imparts just the right combination of savory bacon flavor and saltiness.
How to Make Crack Dip
- Combine the sour cream, ranch dressing mix, crumbled bacon and cheese together in a bowl.
- Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and top with sliced scallions and extra bacon.
Crack Dip Recipe Variations
The base of this dip recipe is the perfect foundation for a variety of other dip flavors. Here are a few to try!
- Spicy Dip - Add a few shakes of wing dip or your favorite hot sauce before mixing to spice things up
- Blue Cheese - Add 1/4 cup of crumbly blue cheese or swap a blue cheese dressing packet for the ranch dip packet
- Shredded Chicken - Add shredded chicken to the dip ingredients before covering and refrigerating
- Serve Crack Dip Hot - Rather than storing overnight, transfer the ingredients to a baking dish, cover with shredded cheddar cheese and bake for 20 - 30 minutes at 400° until bubbly
Do You Have to Refrigerate Crack Dip Before Serving?
I know the recipe calls for chilling the dip for 24 hours before serving and, yes, that sounds like an eternity. It’s such a tease to make a great dip recipe and then have to wait a day to eat it!
But trust me on this one, you’re going to want to wait the 24 hours. If you dig into it early it's still super yummy, but after a full day the flavors will have melded together and it tastes at least 1000% better.
How to Serve Crack Dip
- Chips - Classic potato chips, tortilla chips or the scoop corn chips all taste amazing with this cheesy dip
- Veggies - Celery, cauliflower, broccoli, carrot sticks, or long cucumber sticks are all awesome with this dip
- Bread - Crostini, slices of baguette or bread chips are the perfect complement to crack dip
- Crackers - Buttery crackers or herbed crackers are a super yummy option
More Party Dip Recipes We Love:
- Olive Garden lasagna dip
- Loaded guacamole
- 7 layer dip recipe
- Texas caviar recipe
- White bean jalapeño dip
- Smoked chili queso
Are you tired of the dinner routine?
Stuck in a rut or looking for fun new recipes to try?
Our Facebook Group is growing every day! If you haven’t joined yet, we invite you to come check it out and join the fun.
You can ask for recipe ideas, talk about cooking techniques, or get help figuring out the right new pan set for you. If you’ve already joined, invite a friend along!