Berry Sangria Sorbet Floats RecipeSusan Palmer | Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
Berry Sangria Sorbet Floats have three different kinds of fresh berries. Plus wine!
Recently people have been asking me where I come up with my recipe ideas. Sometimes I’m inspired by what surrounds me – at restaurants, the farmers market, television or magazines.
Most of the time, ideas just pop into my head and I make a beeline to write it down before I forget. Half the time, I’m in an inopportune area to write things down and I forget them.
Luckily, the ideas come back to me in one form or another. These berry sangria sorbet floats are one of those ideas that evolved from one origin to another, and another, before I finally settled on exactly what I wanted to create.
That’s what I love about cooking, nothing is constant and a tiny change can turn a recipe into the best you ever had or the worst.
This float could have gone either way; sangria is probably one of the easiest cocktails out there to mix up. A bottle of wine, a touch of brandy, plenty of fruit and you’re good to go.
You can fancy it up anyway you want with extra fruit juices, citrus or various liquors and alcohol. Taking all that out and relying on the flavor from a berry red wine sorbet, well that’s a bit risky but one I was willing to take.
Alone the sorbet is delicious, I could have sat and eaten the entire tub of it, but alas there floats to make! The berries compliment the merlot, and it’s just sweet enough to satisfy that sugar craving at the end of the day.
Plus the color is absolutely stunning.
Once the wine is poured over, something magical happens, the wine chills off quickly and takes on all the fruit flavors but doesn’t completely dissolve the sorbet. Drink and slurp up that sorbet quickly though; it’ll melt before you know it!
Planning a dinner party and need some inspiration?
How about looking for a new slow cooker dinner idea?
We’ve got you covered in our ever-growing Facebook group! If you’re not a member yet, why not?!
We’re chatting cooking techniques, dessert ideas, and everything in between. If you’re already a member, invite your friends to join us too!
Berry Sangria Sorbet Floats Recipe
- 1 cup Red Wine, Like merlot, plus additional wine for the floats
- 3/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup Strawberries, Hulled
- 1 cup Blueberries
- 1/2 cup Blackberries
- 1 tablespoon Brandy
- 1 Lemon, Juiced
- In a small saucepan add the wine and sugar, bring to a simmer and remove from the heat when the sugar has dissolved completely. Let cool completely.
- Place the strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, brandy and lemon juice in the jar of a blender and puree until smooth. Pour into a fine mesh sieve set over the wine simple syrup to remove seeds and pulp. Discard the solids.
- Churn the sorbet in your ice cream maker according to its directions and scoop into a freezer safe container. Freeze until completely solid, at least 6-8 hours or overnight.
- To serve, place one generous scoop of sorbet in a rocks glass or stem-less wine glass, pour over 6 ounces of wine and garnish with additional berries.
- Serve immediately.
- Susan Palmer
- Boozy Food
- Boozy Desserts
- Boozy Desserts, Boozy Food, Wine, Ice Cream, Berries, Easy, Frozen Treats, Summer
- Related Recipes:
- Boozy Dessert Recipes, Boozy Food Recipes, Wine Recipes, Ice Cream Recipes, Berry Recipes, Easy Recipes, Frozen Treat Recipes, Summer Recipes
- Recipe Yields:
- 6 servings
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Related Post:
Author: Susan Palmer
Recipe Yields: 6 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 405 minutes
Amount Per Serving