Avocado Ice Cream RecipeErin C. | The Law Student's Wife
Creamy avocado ice cream is a surprising summer treat. You'll love digging in to the dark chocolate chips too.
To survive in any city for a period longer than three days, I need two vital pieces of information: 1) Does this city have a Nordstrom and 2) Where can I find the best ice cream (not in that order.) In my current hometown of Madison, WI, the answers are 1) “Break my heart, no” and 2) The Avocado Ice Cream in my freezer.
Avocado Ice Cream, what?! Think about it friends. Avocados are creamy, luscious, and satisfying; so is ice cream. Avocados are velvety and rich; so is ice cream. Avocados are loaded with healthy fats, omega-3s, and other goodness that our bodies love; Ice cream healthy for our souls and state of personal happiness. These two culinary powerhouses are destined to be together!
In every city I’ve lived, I’ve made it my personal mission to eat my way to the best ice cream parlor (a daunting task but someone needs to do it), and right now Avocado Ice Cream with dark chocolate chunks is the top of my ice cream crop.
If you are freaked about by the idea of avocados in ice cream, don’t be. Avocado is the secret to this ice cream’s rich, buttery texture. Tangy Greek yogurt compliments the avocado flavor and lime juice adds a bright beam of citrus. As far as the dark chocolate chunks (try this chocolate from Ghirardelli—so worth it!), I just couldn’t stop myself, which is also my anthem when handed a tub of ice cream and a spoon. With Avocado Ice Cream, however, “stopping” yourself need not be the focal point.
You see Avocado Ice Cream is stealthy healthy dessert to the max. Its ultra-creamy lusciousness is drawn from the avocados (this single pint recipe boasts 1.5 pounds!), allowing us to significantly reduce the heavy cream, and in place of even more heavy cream, we have a full cup of protein-packed Greek yogurt. Also, because avocados do have fat (the healthy kind), Avocado Ice Cream still tastes indulgent. You will truly feel like you are treating yourself, and isn’t that the reason we reached for the ice cream tub in the first place?
Savor summer, get your avocado on, and spoil yourself the healthy way with smooth, luxurious Avocado Ice Cream.
Craving more healthy frozen treats? Sip on Ashton’s Orange Julius with Frozen Bananas and Yogurt.
Avocado Ice Cream Recipe
- 3 Avocados, ripened (such as Hass), about 1 1/2 pounds
- 3/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup Reduced Fat Plain Greek Yogurt, 2% or higher
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Lime Juice
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 8 ounces Bittersweet Chocolate, chopped (60% or higher cacao solids – like Ghirardelli)
- Slice avocados in half and remove pits. With a spoon, scoop the insides into a food processor in chunks. Add sugar, Greek yogurt, heavy cream, lime juice, and salt. Puree until smooth and the sugar is completely dissolved, about 2 minutes.
- Freeze according to your ice cream maker’s instructions. About 10 minutes before the freezing time is complete, add the chopped chocolate and continue to mix. Serve immediately (the mixture will have the consistency of soft serve) or freeze in an airtight container for up to 4 hours for a firmer consistency.
- After 4 hours, the mixture will become very firm. Let rest on counter 15-20 minutes prior to serving.
- Erin C.
- Stealthy Healthy
- Stealthy Healthy, Frozen Treats, Ice Cream, Avocados, Chocolate, Desserts
- Related Recipes:
- Stealthy Healthy Recipes, Frozen Treat Recipes, Ice Cream Recipes, Avocado Recipes, Chocolate Recipes, Dessert Recipes
- Recipe Yields:
- 1 pint
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Related Post:
Author: Erin C.
Recipe Yields: 1 pint
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 240 minutes
Total Time: 250 minutes
Amount Per Serving