Asian BBQ Pork Sandwiches RecipeTanya Schroeder | Lemons for Lulu
Asian BBQ Pork Sandwiches are a great slow cooker meal that you don't have to stress over. A ton of flavor, hardly any effort!
Summer break is finally here! It's time for fun in the sun; lazy days at the pool, summer camps, and fireflies, S'mores, and of course the slow cooker. I know most people think it's time to bring on the grill. I do too, but the slow cooker is just as important to me in the warmer months as it is in the colder months.
After a long, hard day at the pool, the last thing I want to do is make dinner. BUT if the slow cooker is doing its thing while I'm playing with the kids, then dinner is instantly simplified!
I often use my slow cooker for this simple meat sauce, but making pulled pork is truly my favorite! The pork is cooked low and slow all day. The temperature is perfect, the juices are flavorful and the pork is tender! After a few short hours your house will fill up with the most incredible aroma.
This easy Asian BBQ pulled pork starts with pork that has been lightly seasoned with garlic, ginger and Chinese Five Spice. The pork will take three hours to cook on high or five hours on low. When the pork is ready, shred with two forks and pile high onto your sandwich buns. A thick, rich BBQ sauce and a crispy slaw will finish off the sandwich.
The sauce is a typical BBQ sauce base, but with hoisin and soy sauces, as well as sesame oil mixed in. The sauce is tangy and sweet with a punch of ginger. Simply add the sauce ingredients to a saucepan and cook over low heat just until the sauce has thickened.
The slaw is simple too! It is just a blend of cabbage, cilantro, oil and vinegar. The spiced pork, the thick spicy-sweet sauce, and the cool and crisp slaw make these Asian BBQ sandwiches taste out of this world! The flavors and textures all balance out in the most harmonious way.
Sure the grill is great, but the slow cooker is the best! Don't leave it in the cupboard all summer long.
Planning a dinner party and need some inspiration?
How about looking for a new slow cooker dinner idea?
We’ve got you covered in our ever-growing Facebook group! If you’re not a member yet, why not?!
We’re chatting cooking techniques, dessert ideas, and everything in between. If you’re already a member, invite your friends to join us too!
Asian BBQ Pork Sandwiches Recipe
IngredientsFor the Pork:
- 3 pounds Pork Tenderloin
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese Five Spice
- 2 teaspoons Canola Oil
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 1 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1/4 cup Diced Onion
- 1/3 cup Soy Sauce
- 3/4 cup Ketchup
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Rice Wine Vinegar
- 1/4 cup Hoisin Sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Dark Sesame Oil
- 2 cups Shredded Red Cabbage
- 2 tablespoons Fresh Cilantro, Chopped
- 4 tablespoons Cider Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Canola Oil
- pinch of Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 cup Mayonnaise
- Wasabi Paste
- 8 Sandwich Rolls
To Make the Pork:
- Season the pork with salt, garlic, ginger and five spice.
- Place pork in the slow cook cover and cook for 3 hours on high.
- After three hours, remove pork and shred with two forks.
- Place pork back in slow cooker (reduce slow cooker temperature to low or warm) until ready to serve.
To Make the Sauce:
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir and heat sauce until it begins to thicken. This should take about 5-10 minutes.
To Make the Coleslaw:
- Place chopped cabbage and cilantro in bowl.
- Drizzle with vinegar and olive oil, stirring to coat. Add a pinch of sugar if desired.
- Combine mayo and wasabi paste in a small bowl.
- Place a teaspoon of mayo on each roll half.
- Pile pork over the bottom, drizzle with BBQ sauce and top with coleslaw.
- Tanya Schroeder
- Cooking Method:
- Slow Cooker
- Sandwiches, Barbecues, Pork, Asian, Slow Cooker, Easy, Easy Dinners, Lunches, Coleslaw, Summer
- Related Recipes:
- Sandwich Recipes, Barbecue Recipes, Pork Recipes, Asian Recipes, Slow Cooker Recipes, Easy Recipes, Easy Dinner Recipes, Lunch Recipes, Coleslaw Recipes, Summer Recipes
- Recipe Yields:
- 8 servings
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Related Post:
Author: Tanya Schroeder
Recipe Yields: 8 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 360 minutes
Total Time: 375 minutes
Amount Per Serving