Apple Pecan Streusel MuffinsJocelyn Brubaker | Inside BruCrew Life
Baking a batch of these Apple Pecan Streusel Muffins will make your kitchen smell like fall. It's the perfect way to welcome in the cooler season.
Last week sliced apples were on sale in our local grocery store, so I stocked up on a few extra bags. My plan was to bake all the apple things that I wanted to share with you this fall in one week.
So far we enjoyed pancakes, cake, scones, Mini Apple Fritter Waffle Donuts, a couple batches of the most amazing caramel apple topping, and these amazing Apple Pecan Streusel Muffins.
And that was just last week. I still have ideas for cheesecake, bread pudding, cookies, nachos, crescent braids, and donuts in the very near future.
I have officially decided to add apples to all the recipes. Now that it is September, I'm not planning on holding back on apple and pumpkin treats.
Usually by now I'm totally and completely bonkers for pumpkin treats, but I haven't hit that point this year. It must be the year of apples for me.
A few years ago, I made these Carrot Cheesecake Muffins. I already tweaked the recipe to use zucchini, so I knew it would totally work to substitute shredded apple.
But this time I didn't want a cheesecake center.
I know, I know.
Who am I and what have I done with Jocelyn, because I always want to add cheesecake to everything.
This time I just felt like a crunchy streusel topping and a sweet glaze drizzle on top said fall a little better. And after one bite of these apple muffins, I knew it was the right way to go.
These bakery style muffins will win your heart over in two seconds flat. Well, it might be the crunchy streusel and glaze that will win you over first.
But then when you take a bite of the soft apple spice muffin, you will be reaching for another one in a hurry. At least I was.
The best Streusel Topping for muffins:
- Mix together sugar, flour, cinnamon, and cold butter with a pastry blender or a fork. Continue working the mixture until it resembles wet sand.
- Stir in the nuts and use the back of a spoon to press the mixture into large clumps.
- You can also use your hands to clump the mixture together.
- A helpful tip when using this streusel is to press it slightly into the batter before placing the pan in the oven. This will help the streusel stick to the muffins as they bake.
How to make Apple Pecan Streusel Muffins:
- Make the streusel topping first and set it aside.
- Mix together the oil, sugars, vanilla, and eggs in a bowl.
- Stir together the dry ingredients and mix them alternately with buttermilk into the sugar mixture.
- Stir in the shredded apples and pecan chips gently. A food processor is an easy way to shred apples quickly.
- Spray your muffin tins with nonstick spray and spoon the batter evenly into 18 muffin cavities. Divide the streusel onto the muffin batter and press it down slightly.
- Once the muffins are baked, let them cool in the muffin tins for 2-3 minutes before gently removing them and placing them on a cooling rack that has been set inside a large sheet pan.
- When the muffins are cooled, whisk together the glaze and drizzle it over the tops of the sweet breakfast muffins. Let the glaze set before storing the muffins in a container.
Planning a dinner party and need some inspiration?
How about looking for a new slow cooker dinner idea?
We’ve got you covered in our ever-growing Facebook group! If you’re not a member yet, why not?!
We’re chatting cooking techniques, dessert ideas, and everything in between. If you’re already a member, invite your friends to join us too!
Apple Pecan Streusel Muffins
IngredientsFor the Streusel:
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/4 cup Cold Butter
- 1/2 cup Finely Chopped Pecans
- 2/3 cup Oil
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 Eggs
- 2 1/4 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Aluminum Free Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 2 teaspoons Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 cup Buttermilk
- 1 cup Shredded Apple
- 1/2 cup Finely Chopped Pecans
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Spray a 12-count and a 6-count muffin tin with nonstick baking spray.
- Use a pastry blender or fork to mix together the brown sugar, flour, and cold butter until they resemble wet sand.
- Stir in the pecans and use the back of a spoon to clump the mixture into chunks. Set aside.
- Mix together the oil, sugars, vanilla, and eggs in a large bowl.
- Stir together all the dry ingredients. Add them alternately with the buttermilk to the sugar mixture.
- Gently stir in the shredded apples and pecans bits. Spoon the muffin batter evenly into the 18 muffin cavities.
- Divide the streusel topping on the tops of the muffin batter. Press it slightly into the batter.
- Bake for 16 minutes.
- Remove and let cool in the pan for 2-3 minutes before gently removing them. Place on a cooling rack.
- Stir together the powdered sugar and water and drizzle over the tops of the cooled muffins. Let set. Store in a tightly sealed container.
- Jocelyn Brubaker
- Cooking Method:
- Breakfasts, Brunches, Muffins, Quick Bread, Snacks, Family Meals and Snacks, Baking, Baked, Apples, Pecans
- Related Recipes:
- Breakfast Recipes, Brunch Recipes, Muffin Recipes, Quick Bread Recipes, Snack Recipes, Family Meals and Snack Recipes, Baking Recipes, Baked Recipes, Apple Recipes, Pecan Recipes
- Recipe Yields:
- 18 muffins
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Related Post:
Author: Jocelyn Brubaker
Recipe Yields: 18 muffins
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 16 minutes
Total Time: 36 minutes
Amount Per Serving