Wondering how to make chicken fried steak? We’ll tell you what to do.
This editor isn’t from Texas either. But I’ve seen chicken-fried steak on many comfort-food menus.
See what I mean? It’s Comfort food with a capital “C.”
Ingredients for Chicken Fried Steak
- 1/2 pounds Cube Steak, pounded to ¼-inch thick
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 2/3 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Season Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 2 cups Vegetable Oil
How to Make Chicken Fried Steak
- Add oil to a large cast iron skillet and place over medium-high heat until oil reaches 350°F.
- Add egg and milk to a bowl and beat together until mixed well. Add flour, season salt and pepper to another bowl and mix until well combined.
- Dredge each tenderized steak in flour on both sides, dip into milk and then back into flour, coating both sides. Repeat with remaining steaks.
- Carefully add floured steaks into hot oil. Cook for 5-7 minutes on each side or until well browned.
- Remove to a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
How to Make Gravy for Chicken Fried Steak
- In a medium sized saucepan, add about 1/2 cup of the excess oil from the steaks into the saucepan.
- Add in 4 cups of milk.
- Whisk in ¾ cup flour.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and then continue stirring until it thickens.
- Serve topped over the steak.
- Add additional salt and pepper to taste if needed.
Gluten-Free Chicken-Fried Steak
If you need to avoid gluten, you can still enjoy chicken-fried steak, with a simple substitution. Just use all-purpose gluten-free flour instead of regular flour! Get all the details in this recipe for Gluten-Free Chicken-Fried Steak.
Country-Fried Steak vs. Chicken-Fried Steak
Country-fried steak is very similar to chicken-fried steak. Country-fried steak usually features brown gravy instead of white and is less crispy than chicken-fried steak. Some people, however, use the terms interchangeably.
Planning a dinner party and need some inspiration?
How about looking for a new slow cooker dinner idea?
We’ve got you covered in our ever-growing Facebook group! If you’re not a member yet, why not?!
We’re chatting cooking techniques, dessert ideas, and everything in between. If you’re already a member, invite your friends to join us too!