Slow Cooker Ham Soup RecipeKristy Still | Mommy Hates Cooking
Slow Cooker Ham Soup with lentils and goodness. Gluten free, and oh so good!
For months now, I have heard nothing but good things about lentils. The only problem being that each time I went to the store to get them, the store that I was at only had their store brand, which was always cross contaminated with wheat. That meant I had to keep forgoing lentils until I came across some that were not contaminated.
Finally, as I shopped a different store a few weeks ago, I was pleased to find gluten free lentils!
One of the things I heard about lentils is they are great for lowering cholesterol. Even with eating healthy, I have high cholesterol due to genetics and family history. I have been trying my hardest to lower it naturally, and I sure do hope it works! Lentils are said to be a super-food and a very affordable one too. They're also easy to adapt to any flavor. Like this lentils and rice recipe from Steph, full of Asian spices and heat.
I am learning that you can use lentils in all sorts of food items that you eat daily to add a boost of antioxidants. I am hoping to try them out in Sloppy Joes and even Tacos too. I am also crossing my fingers that I can get my son to try some, he is an extremely picky eater, and so it’s always a test with him.
As I cooked with them for the first time recently, I knew I wanted to try them with soup. As Easter is upon us, I am certain we will all be overloaded with lots of leftover ham.
This recipe is the perfect way to use up some of that leftover ham and recreate a whole new meal! On top of that, the addition of just a cup of dry lentils adds a whole new level of nutrition to the meal. I also decided to add similar ingredients that I use for my Beef & Veggie Soup to this Slow Cooker Lentil & Ham Soup.
Now, prep the slow cooker then sit back and let dinner simmer away. This soup is also fabulous paired with a side of Gluten Free Homemade Cornbread.
Are you tired of the dinner routine?
Stuck in a rut or looking for fun new recipes to try?
Our Facebook Group is growing every day! If you haven’t joined yet, we invite you to come check it out and join the fun.
You can ask for recipe ideas, talk about cooking techniques, or get help figuring out the right new pan set for you. If you’ve already joined, invite a friend along!
Slow Cooker Ham Soup Recipe
- 1 cup Ham, diced and cubed (cooked)
- 1 cup Dry Lentils, certified gluten free
- 14 1/2 ounces Beef Broth, 1 can
- 15 ounces Tomato Sauce, 1 can
- 1 cup Frozen Corn
- 2 medium White Potatoes, diced
- 2 stalks Celery, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound Baby Carrots
- 1 28-ounce can Diced Tomatoes
- 1/2 Onion, diced
- 1/2 cup White Table Wine
- 1/2 tablespoon Dried Parsley
- 1/2 tablespoon Dried Basil
- 1/2 tablespoon Oregano
- 4 cups Boiling Water
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- In a 4-6 quart slow cooker, spray it with non-stick spray, then place all ingredients in the slow cooker, up until the 4 cups of water. At this point, fill the slow cooker until all the ingredients are nicely covered with water, generally this is about 4 cups.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours, set to warm until ready to serve.
- Add salt/pepper to taste or additional parsley when serving.
- Kristy Still
- Cooking Method:
- Slow Cooker
- Gluten Free
- Soups, Slow Cooker, Crock Pot, Gluten Free, Ham, Pork, Lentils, Vegetables, Freezer Meals
- Related Recipes:
- Soup Recipes, Slow Cooker Recipes, Crock Pot Recipes, Gluten Free Recipes, Ham Recipes, Pork Recipes, Lentil Recipes, Vegetable Recipes, Freezer Meal Recipes
- Recipe Yields:
- 6-8 servings
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Related Post:
Author: Kristy Still
Recipe Yields: 6-8 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 480 minutes
Total Time: 495 minutes
Amount Per Serving