Sesame Chicken RecipeErin S. | Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
Sesame Chicken couldn't be quicker or easier to make. Skip the take out, because this recipe is actually faster!
Chinese food is one of the most popular take out foods in America. I know when we think of getting take out, it is always either pizza or Chinese. As much as I love Chinese food, it is just so bad for you. It is almost always fried, or at least the stuff that I like is, and there is so much salt! Not to mention you don’t know what else they are putting in there, or what cut of meat you are actually getting.
Making some of your favorites at home can actually be really easy, and use ingredients you already have in your pantry, or are easy to find at any grocery store. My General Tso’s Chicken has quickly become a family favorite. So I put that same idea into another one of our favorites; Sesame Chicken. The sweet and tiny bit spicy sauce gets me every time! It is always the most requested order from my 8 year old.
The chicken gets coated in an egg white and cornstarch mixture. This gives the chicken a little crunch, but not all the calories and fat that come along with deep frying. Sesame Chicken is known for the sauce it is served in. I used honey instead of plain sugar to give it the sweetness, and a little bit of chili sauce for some heat. You can adjust the heat level easily, but adding or reducing the amount of chili sauce.
Serve with white or brown rice and maybe this Edamame Salad Recipe too, and you have dinner in less than 20 minutes. My grocery store even has fortune cookies now, so you could have a stash of those in the pantry for the full Chinese takeout experience.
Are you tired of the dinner routine?
Stuck in a rut or looking for fun new recipes to try?
Our Facebook Group is growing every day! If you haven’t joined yet, we invite you to come check it out and join the fun.
You can ask for recipe ideas, talk about cooking techniques, or get help figuring out the right new pan set for you. If you’ve already joined, invite a friend along!
Sesame Chicken Recipe
- 1 cup Long Grain Rice, or minute rice
- 1/2 cup Honey
- 1/3 cup Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- 3 cloves Garlic, grated or minced
- 1 piece Fresh Ginger, 1", grated or minced
- 1 teaspoon Sesame Oil
- 2 teaspoons Asian Chili Sauce
- 2 large Egg Whites
- 1/4 cup Cornstarch
- 1 pound Chicken Breast, boneless and skinless, cut into 1" pieces
- 2 tablespoons Canola Oil
- 3 tablespoons Sesame Seeds
- Cook rice according to the package directions.
- In a large bowl whisk together eggs whites and cornstarch. It will take a minute for it to really come together. Add pieces of chicken and toss to coat.
- In a large skillet heat canola oil over medium high heat. Add chicken. Sauté for 3-4 minutes per side, until cooked all the way through.
- Meanwhile in a small bowl combine honey, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, sesame oil, and chili sauce. Whisk until combined.
- Once the chicken is browned and cooked through, pour in the sauce mixture. Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. Once chicken is well coated remove from heat.
- Serve over rice sprinkled with sesame seeds.
- Erin S.
- Cooking Method:
- Healthy Eating
- Chicken Breasts, Chicken, Asian, Quick, Easy Dinners, Easy, Healthy Eating, Healthy, Sauteed, Egg Whites
- Related Recipes:
- Chicken Breast Recipes, Chicken Recipes, Asian Recipes, Quick Recipes, Easy Dinner Recipes, Easy Recipes, Healthy Eating Recipes, Healthy Recipes, Sauteed Recipes, Egg White Recipes
- Recipe Yields:
- 4 servings
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Related Post:
Author: Erin S.
Recipe Yields: 4 servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Amount Per Serving