This Mexican rice casserole recipe makes for a great-tasting, hearty meal. Thank you, Pioneer Woman!
- Try adding more of your favorite vegetables. Chopped red or green bell peppers taste great, or a diced zucchini. You could also try a large handful of corn kernels, which bring a sweetness to the dish and a great pop of color.
- Stir in cooked beans before baking, which will make this dish a satisfying meal all by itself! Kidney beans or black beans are ideal.
- Another way to turn the rice into a hearty meal is to add cooked ground beef along with the tomatoes.
- For a healthier meal, use brown rice instead of white. Just bear in mind that the cooking time may need to be increased - although you can speed things up by using parboiled brown rice.
- Change up your cheese! If you like a bit of extra fire, mix some jalapeno Jack or Mexican cheese with the cheddar.
- Top with sliced black olives
- Use fire-roasted tomatoes instead of regular ones, which add a lovely smoky flavor.
How to make your own fire-roasted tomatoes
- Wash the tomatoes and cut them in half.
- Place them on a baking sheet with the cut side down.
- Set your broiler to high.
- Broil the tomatoes for about 10 mins, turning a few times, until the skins are blackened.
- Leave the tomatoes to cool. When they are cool enough to handle, remove the skins, which should slip off easily.
- The tomatoes are now ready to use.