Peppermint Truffles taste the best when really good chocolate is used. The Ghiradelli melting wafers are really wonderful!
I’ve been wanting to make these super simple peppermint truffles for a long time now. Several years ago I shared these dark chocolate with coconut truffles. I knew back then that I wanted to make a Peppermint version.
Those chocolate coconut truffles are one of my mom’s favorite candies. Here in Illinois we have a place called Fannie May (if you’re not familiar, it’s probably best that way, haha). But they make this Trinidad truffle that is so amazing. Those chocolate coconut truffles are a copycat version of that Fannie May treat.
But, some people are anti-coconut (Hi Michael, sweet hubby o’mine). Certain people would much rather enjoy peppermint truffles.
Making these treats is super easy, but I put together a little video to help you see the preparation in action!
A few quick tips:
- Use a good quality chocolate for this recipe. It’s the star of the show, so make it shine! I love using Ghirardelli Bittersweet Chocolate Morsels (60% cacoa)
- Heat your chocolate and heavy cream in a glass bowl in the microwave for one minute. Stir until smooth. If it’s still not smooth, heat in 15 second increments.
- Refrigerate the chocolate for about an hour.
- Once chilled, it should be soft (but not hard). Use a 1 Tbsp scoop to drop truffles onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet. FREEZE truffles for another hour.
- Use finger tips to shape frozen truffles into a ball. Then use a toothpick to dip truffle into melted chocolate. Again, USE GOOD CHOCOLATE. I love the bags of Ghirardelli Melting Wafers. Not only do they melt smooth, but they taste delicious too. Be sure to sprinkle your truffles immediately with crushed peppermint. Be generous, this is where the peppermint flavor comes into play!
Be sure to check out some of my other favorite truffle and candy recipes for the holiday season!
Are you tired of the dinner routine?
Stuck in a rut or looking for fun new recipes to try?
Our Facebook Group is growing every day! If you haven’t joined yet, we invite you to come check it out and join the fun.
You can ask for recipe ideas, talk about cooking techniques, or get help figuring out the right new pan set for you. If you’ve already joined, invite a friend along!