Instant Pot Split Pea Soup RecipeKatie Jasiewicz | Katie's Cucina
Instant Pot split pea soup is done in less than an hour! Enjoy the hearty flavorful slow cooked taste of split pea soup in a flash thanks to the convenience of the Instant Pot.
We love split pea soup in my home. I grew up with my mom making it after Christmas and Easter ham dinners and each and every time she would make it I would refuse to try it. What the heck was I thinking? I’m guessing it was the dark green coloring that turned me off (which is also why it took me years to try guacamole as well).
Once I was in my twenties I finally gave it a try and holy cow! It was delicious. What the heck was I thinking to not try this thick and hearty soup sooner!??! I had my mom teach me how to make the soup after one of our ham eating holidays and then I started playing around with the recipe until I found the winning version.
In past years, I’ve always made it in the slow cooker. However, last year, after having my daughter and receiving an Instant Pot for my birthday I decided to give it a try in the Instant Pot. Let me just tell you it was the best split pea soup I had ever made in my life. That was the proclamation my husband gave it at least.
I then made it again after Christmas and it was still the best split pea soup I had ever made. So with that being said I don’t think I’ll ever make split pea soup any other way again. Once again, Instant Pot for the win!
I think the reason why it’s so much better, thicker, and more flavorful in the Instant Pot is because you literally get every single piece of ham off the bone when you use the pressure cooker. The stovetop and my slow cooker have never been able to achieve that sort of victory. I mean we have no waste of meat with this recipe. Which of course, I love that as well. I’m not one to waste food.
Making split pea soup in your Instant Pot (or any electronic pressure cooker) is very simple. You add in your ham bone (of course make sure it will fit in your Instant Pot) then add in all your veggies, split peas, seasoning, and water. Set the Instant Pot and let it do its magic.
If you are a lover of split pea soup and own an Instant Pot, I’m begging you to do yourself a favor and give this delicious recipe a try. I’m confident that once you try it in the Instant Pot you will never make it any other way again!
Are you tired of the dinner routine?
Stuck in a rut or looking for fun new recipes to try?
Our Facebook Group is growing every day! If you haven’t joined yet, we invite you to come check it out and join the fun.
You can ask for recipe ideas, talk about cooking techniques, or get help figuring out the right new pan set for you. If you’ve already joined, invite a friend along!
Instant Pot Split Pea Soup Recipe
- 1 Large Ham Bone
- 1 16-ounce bag Dried Green Split Peas
- 3 Carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 Parsnips, peeled and sliced
- 2 Potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 medium Onion, diced
- 3 stalks Celery, diced
- 2 cloves Garlic, diced
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 tablespoon Season Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1/4 cup Fresh Parsley, diced
- 2 cups Cooked Ham, diced
- In a 6-quart Instant Pot, place the ham bone, sliced carrots, parsnips, white potatoes, onion, celery, garlic, and split peas. Then, add bay leaf, season salt, and black pepper followed by 6 cups of water. Stir until everything is incorporated.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot, close valve, and set to manual high pressure for 20 minutes. Once the soup is done allow the pressure to naturally release for 10-15 minutes. Carefully relieve any excess pressure with a thick dishcloth or potholder. Always open the lid facing away from yourself.
- Carefully remove the ham bone and discard. Using tongs you can grab larger pieces of ham and chop on a cutting board or leave as is. Mix the soup well, and add 3 tablespoons fresh minced parsley and 2 cups of diced cooked ham, mix well. Ladle soup into bowls and top with additional fresh parsley.
- Katie Jasiewicz
- Cooking Method:
- Instant Pot
- Easy Dinners, Instant Pot, Pressure Cooker, Soups, Vegetables, Family Meals and Snacks, Dinners, Easter, Ham
- Related Recipes:
- Easy Dinner Recipes, Instant Pot Recipes, Pressure Cooker Recipes, Soup Recipes, Vegetable Recipes, Family Meals and Snack Recipes, Dinner Recipes, Easter Recipes, Ham Recipes
- Recipe Yields:
- 8 servings
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Related Post:
Author: Katie Jasiewicz
Recipe Yields: 8 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Amount Per Serving