Instant Pot Italian Sausage Bell Pepper Sauce RecipeKatie Jasiewicz | Katie's Cucina
This Instant Pot Italian Sausage Bell Pepper Sauce tastes like it’s been slow cooking all day. It’s a fork-tender, easy recipe!
Sausage and peppers is one of my family’s favorite dinners. Ironically, I rarely make this meal for them.
That is, until I started testing recipes for Instant Pot Italian Sausage Bell Pepper Sauce. This recipe, like so many other recipes for the Instant Pot, is a game changer.
Fork-tender sausage that tastes like it's been simmering for hours!
In the past, I've made this recipe using my slow cooker; however, since I received my Instant Pot I now only make Italian Sausage in the Instant Pot.
It's life changing and takes a fraction of the time.
Making this Italian Sausage recipe is very easy and only takes a few steps - best of all, it’s contained to one pot.
I love to brown the Italian Sausage in the Instant Pot first, then I add in the garlic, onions, and peppers to brown for a minute. Sprinkle in the herbs and use a silicone spatula to scrape up the brown bits.
Next, you'll add in the tomato paste and mix well, then add in the diced tomatoes and crushed tomatoes. Give it a good mix, then it's time to close the lid and let the Instant Pot do its magic.
Because this is a sauce, once the sauce is done cooking you'll want the pressure to release naturally for at least 10 minutes. Then, carefully force the pressure from the Instant Pot.
I have tested this recipe a few times and I found 10 minutes was a good amount to cook. I typically will only cook 5 minutes for my family of four.
If I'm entertaining, I'll keep the same amount of sauce and just up the amount of Italian Sausage. I use mild Italian Sausage, but if you like spicy you can most definitely use hot Italian Sausage.
This recipe makes a lot of sauce. I love to have extra sauce, because then it allows me to freeze the remaining for a future meal.
All the well-developed flavors, and best of all you just defrost and have a delicious sauce for another dinner. You can freeze the Italian Sausage and sauce together.
If you actually have leftover sausage (which never happens in my house), I would cut the sausage into 2-3 inch pieces. Always defrost in the refrigerator the day before, then reheat in a saucepan on the stovetop until piping hot.
I like to serve this meal with pasta, fresh Italian bread, and salad. However, you can also make Italian Sausage subs.
If you are looking for a healthier low-carb option, you can serve this on top of zoodles.
If you are looking to use your Instant Pot more and want to add an easy dinner to your meal plan make this recipe for Instant Pot Italian Sausage and Bell Pepper Sauce.
Planning a dinner party and need some inspiration?
How about looking for a new slow cooker dinner idea?
We’ve got you covered in our ever-growing Facebook group! If you’re not a member yet, why not?!
We’re chatting cooking techniques, dessert ideas, and everything in between. If you’re already a member, invite your friends to join us too!
Instant Pot Italian Sausage Bell Pepper Sauce Recipe
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 5 Italian Sausage Links
- 6 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 White Onion, diced
- 1/2 Red Bell Pepper, diced
- 1/2 Green Bell Pepper, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Granulated Sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 6 ounce can Tomato Paste
- 1 14.5 ounce can Diced Tomatoes
- 28 ounces Tomato Puree, (1 can)
- Fresh Basil
- Fresh Parsley
- Select the "sauté" setting on the Instant Pot. Once the Instant Pot reads "HOT", pour the olive oil in the pot and place the sausages inside.
- Begin to brown the sausage on all sides for 5 minutes.
- While the sausage browns, begin to chop all the vegetables including the garlic.
- Once the sausage is golden in color (but not cooked through) remove the sausage and set to the side. Add in the garlic and onions and sauté for 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Then add in the bell peppers. Mix and sauté for 1 minute then add in the salt, Italian seasoning, sugar, and black pepper.
- Mix well then add in the tomato paste and mix until combined.
- Add in the diced tomatoes and pureed tomatoes. Mix well and then add the Italian sausage back in to the Instant Pot. Make sure you submerge all the links.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and move the valve to "sealing" position. Turn off the Instant Pot then select "meat/stew", select 15 minutes.
- Once the sausage is done, let the Instant Pot naturally rest for 10 minutes. Then, carefully, force the remaining pressure out of the Instant Pot.
- Mix well, and serve immediately.
- You can double the amount of sausage used and cook for 20 minutes instead of 15.
- Katie Jasiewicz
- Cooking Method:
- Instant Pot
- One Pot Meals, Easy Dinners, Instant Pot, Pressure Cooker, Pressure Cooking, Italian, Sausage, Peppers, Sauces, Tomatoes
- Related Recipes:
- One Pot Meal Recipes, Easy Dinner Recipes, Instant Pot Recipes, Pressure Cooker Recipes, Pressure Cooking Recipes, Italian Recipes, Sausage Recipes, Pepper Recipes, Sauce Recipes, Tomato Recipes
- Recipe Yields:
- 5 servings
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Related Post:
Author: Katie Jasiewicz
Recipe Yields: 5 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Amount Per Serving