This lobster mac and cheese recipe from Ina Garten puts a flavorful twist on a traditional comfort food.
- You’ll want to find a deep pan, large enough to fit the lobsters. Fill with enough water to fully immerse the lobsters and bring to a rapid boil.
- Add the lobsters, head-down, and cover with a tight fitting lid. Set a timer for about 7-8 minutes; we generally advise this for a 1 1⁄2 pound lobster, but should you have a larger one or additional lobsters, increase by 2-3 minutes per pound.
- Once the timer has gone off, drain the pan and run the lobster under cold water for a few minutes.
- Using a pair of tongs, remove the lobster and place on your work area.
- You will now crack the claws using a mallet or rolling pin, but take care not to tear the meat.
- Once cracked open, scrape out that delicious meat and set aside.
- For a fun kick, add a teaspoon or so of Creole seasoning as you mix everything together.
- Pepper jack cheese also gives a punch if you’re serving this recipe for spice-lovers.
- Saving time is always a great idea, but opt for block cheese in this recipe and shred it yourself; pre-shredded cheese is usually much drier!
- Add chopped garlic to the breadcrumbs before you top the Mac & Cheese to bake!
- Add mushrooms, sauteed spinach or collard greens into the mix, or serve on the side - the combo is delicious!
- If you're not a fan of lobster or are struggling to find it, lump crab meat is a great alternative!