Ina Garten Lobster Mac and CheeseThe Editors at Food Fanatic | Food Fanatic
This lobster mac and cheese recipe from Ina Garten puts a flavorful twist on a traditional comfort food.
Lobster takes delicious, cheesy ooey-gooey mac and cheese to a whole new level!
If you’re looking for a decadent dish that will have everyone talking, you’ve come to the right place. Ina Garten's Lobster Mac and Cheese recipe puts an elegant spin on a classic meal.
Despite its sophisticated flavor, this recipe is quick and easy, so it's perfect for everything from dinner parties to busy school nights!
The recipe features cooked lobster, which you can buy at your local fishmonger or supermarket. But if you'd like to have a go at cooking the lobster yourself, you'll be pleased to hear it's easier than you might think!
- You’ll want to find a deep pan, large enough to fit the lobsters. Fill with enough water to fully immerse the lobsters and bring to a rapid boil.
- Add the lobsters, head-down, and cover with a tight fitting lid. Set a timer for about 7-8 minutes; we generally advise this for a 1 1⁄2 pound lobster, but should you have a larger one or additional lobsters, increase by 2-3 minutes per pound.
- Once the timer has gone off, drain the pan and run the lobster under cold water for a few minutes.
- Using a pair of tongs, remove the lobster and place on your work area.
- You will now crack the claws using a mallet or rolling pin, but take care not to tear the meat.
- Once cracked open, scrape out that delicious meat and set aside.
As if this recipe wasn’t mouthwatering enough, there are lots of variations and additions you can try:
- For a fun kick, add a teaspoon or so of Creole seasoning as you mix everything together.
- Pepper jack cheese also gives a punch if you’re serving this recipe for spice-lovers.
- Saving time is always a great idea, but opt for block cheese in this recipe and shred it yourself; pre-shredded cheese is usually much drier!
- Add chopped garlic to the breadcrumbs before you top the Mac & Cheese to bake!
- Add mushrooms, sauteed spinach or collard greens into the mix, or serve on the side - the combo is delicious!
- If you're not a fan of lobster or are struggling to find it, lump crab meat is a great alternative!
Once cooked, you can keep this in the fridge for up to five days, but be sure to cool it completely and wrap it tightly in plastic wrap before storing.
You can also freeze for up to two months - we would suggest wrapping it in a couple of layers of foil in addition to the plastic wrap to avoid freezer burn.
If you enjoyed this recipe, you'll love 6 Cheese Mac and Cheese too!
Ina Garten Lobster Mac and Cheese
- 1 pinch of Kosher Salt
- 1 teaspoon Vegetable Oil
- 1 16 ounce package Cavatappi, or use elbow macaroni
- 1 quart Milk
- 1 stick Unsalted Butter, divided
- 1/2 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 12 ounces Gruyere Cheese, grated
- 8 ounces Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- 24 ounces Lobster, cooked
- 1 1/2 cups Fresh Bread Crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil and add a little oil.
- Add the pasta and cook according to the package instructions, for around 6 to 8 minutes. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, gently warm the milk in a small saucepan
- Melt 6 tablespoons of the butter in a large pot and stir in the flour with a whisk.
- Cook for 2 minutes over a low heat, stirring continuously.
- Whilst still whisking, add the hot milk and cook for a couple more minutes, until smooth and thickened.
- Remove from the heat and add the cheeses and seasonings.
- Add the cooked macaroni and lobster and stir well.
- Spoon the mixture in 6 to 8 individual gratin dishes.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and stir in the fresh bread crumbs. Sprinkle on the top of the macaroni mixture.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the sauce is bubbly and the macaroni is golden brown.
Source: Ina Garten
- The Editors at Food Fanatic
- Ina Garten
- Lobsters, Macaroni and Cheese, Pasta, Seafood, Cheese
- Related Recipes:
- Lobster Recipes, Macaroni and Cheese Recipes, Pasta Recipes, Seafood Recipes, Cheese Recipes
- Recipe Yields:
- 8 servings
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
Author: The Editors at Food Fanatic
Source: Ina Garten
Recipe Yields: 8 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 70 minutes
Total Time: 85 minutes
Serving Size 1 serving
Servings Per Recipe 1
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 2480Calories 6900
% Daily Value*
477%Total Fat 310g
863%Saturated Fat 173g
189%Total Carbohydrate 566g
28%Dietary Fiber 23g
* Percent Daily Value are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
** Nutrition Facts are estimated based on ingredients and data provided by Fat Secret. Please consult a doctor if you have special dietary needs.